Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
shism2
My Device: Not Specified

Any idea how to list installed applications or detect when an application is opened?

[ Edited ]

Use Case:

I want to recreate my application EveryLock on Playbook. However, it seems even the Native SDK doesn't have enough functionality to detect running processes, send a window to foreground or background or list installed third party/ system apps.

Is this the case?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Any idea how to list installed applications or detect when an application is opened?

That's correct. There are currently no defined APIs to query any such things in the system.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
elena_laskavaia
My Device: PlayBook

Re: Any idea how to list installed applications or detect when an application is opened?

You cannot make app go to background or foreground, and you cannot really do anything with the app from another app, considering that APIs for listing apps would not be of any use

Please use plain text.
Developer
shism2
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Well, then I would recommend that these features be implemented. By not implementing these features, your cutting out a whole category of applications......which Ipad and android do have. I thought the native sdk would have more control than just using adobe air.....

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
smcveigh
My Device: developer

I don't know that allowing arbitrary user applications to clobber the display of any other running applications is a particularly good design model.

That being said, if there were explicit navigator hooks for such things in the future, and users explicitly agreed to allow such privileged permissions when an app is installed, then it's conceivably doable.

Open an issue in the issue tracker so that your suggestion doesn't get lost.

See the post at the head of this forum regarding reporting bugs

Cheers,

Sean

Please use plain text.