Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: PlayBook

Re: App crashes only when in release build

If you couldn't reproduce it and it happens only sporadically, I suspect it is most likely a memory problem; the PB might have been low on (graphics) memory.  

Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans
Contributor
My Device: none

It happens everytime it starts on user's device.

However I think the problem has to do with the user not giving file permissions for the app.

I'm now tryng to find how to detect the app permissions at runtime and display a warning instead of crashing.

Anybody know of the recommended way to do this?

PS.

Shouldn't RIM fail the app if it crashes when not given the required permissions?

Trusted Contributor

If file permission is he problem, it should be something that you can reproduce.

I don't know to to detect if file permission is turned off.  But if a file open fails, you could pop up an alert dialog instead of having the app continue with a null file handle.

Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans
Contributor
My Device: none

Yes, I can reproduce it as well if I remove the access_shared permission from the system settings.

Trusted Contributor

In that case, you could advise the user to turn on file access permission until you upload a fix that handles the problem gracefully.

Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans