Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Trusted Contributor
taylor-tomt
My Device: Z10, Playbook

App denied, runs fine on simulator...??

I have an app denied for OS10 because the reviewer says the display does not come up properly on a Dev Alpha device.

It runs fine on the simulator, and I don't have a Dev device to try it on.

If the simulator does not accurately reflect what an actual device does, what are we developers without Dev devices supposed to do?

Trusted Contributor
nikmaster
My Device: BB Playbook

Re: App denied, runs fine on simulator...??

First, make sure you install on the sim exactly that file, that you have submitted to the App World. Once I had problem in release build, but debug build worked fine.

And if it works, then ask reviewer to tell you more about that problem. Maybe provide screenshots. He will review it for a second time, and maybe there was a problem with his installation, or just bug on his side.

I had a case, when I was told by reviewer, that controlls in my app do not work. I asked him to go more detailed on that issue, and he approved my app, because problem was not in my app, but on his side. Maybe his device lagged or something.

Please click the Thumbs Up icon if this comment has helped you! If your issue is resolved, please click the solution button on the resolution!

Trusted Contributor
taylor-tomt

How do I specify to load the release build onto the simulator?

I have 'build configuration' set to simulator debug, and I just select 'run as...' which builds and loads the file onto the simulator.

Now that I have the Device release bar file exported (the one I submitted to app world), what are the steps to load it on the simulator?

Trusted Contributor
nikmaster

You can install .bar using command line or you can use BB Tablet Graphical Aid tool to make the process easier

Please click the Thumbs Up icon if this comment has helped you! If your issue is resolved, please click the solution button on the resolution!

Trusted Contributor
taylor-tomt

I'll try this later today.

If the release bar file does run differently than the debug version, any suggestions on what to look for to resolve the problem?

Is it likely to be an actual coding problem, or is it a build problem (includes, compiler options, etc)?

Trusted Contributor
nikmaster

I just forgot to include some of the files in the release build, that I had in debug :smileyhappy:

I was using Adobe Flash Builder and it had different files for different builds

Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook

.bar file built for device will never work on simulator. ARM build vs X86.

Trusted Contributor
nikmaster

Right. Sorry, I forgot that this is Native Development section. Air apps have same builds for both ARM and x86

Trusted Contributor
taylor-tomt

Good point about the ARM vs x86 bar files.

So ,back to my original question:

If the simulator does not accurately represent the device, what are app developers supposed to do if they don't have a device?

Trusted Contributor
nikmaster

Can you try to run it on Playbook?