If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
superdirt
My Device: Not Specified

Application quits unexpectedly and freezes when debugger isn't attached, but doesn't quit or freeze when debugger is attached

[ Edited ]

What's the approach I should take when trying to locate a bug that never seems to show up when the debugger is attached? I have no idea what could be the cause of the bug.

I am trying to debug via the device. My simulator isn't working (another issue) so I can't debug with that.

Thanks,

Scott

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Application quits unexpectedly and freezes when debugger isn't attached, but doesn't quit or freeze when debugger is attached

Hi Scott,

Are you using the same build of the application for either test?

What OS version is running on your PlayBook?

Regards,

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
superdirt

Re: Application quits unexpectedly and freezes when debugger isn't attached, but doesn't quit or freeze when debugger is attached

Hi Garett,

Yes, I am positive that I am testing with the same build of my application. My device is using 1.0.8.6067, and it was exhibiting this behaviour with the previous major update as well. I only just downloaded 1.0.8.6067 so I couldn't yet say this issue has occurred with this version, but I am currently doing testing on this. I will report back.

Thanks,

Scott

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
elena_laskavaia
My Device: PlayBook

The diffrence between debug and release variants are

- release variant does not have debug symbols

- release variant compiled with more security features (such as PIE)

- app runs with lower privileges (for example it cannot modify its own assets)

- app assets are signed (but it should not affect app after it launched)

Did you try to run Memory analysis tool to see if it can dind any memory corruption issues?

Please use plain text.
Developer
superdirt

Hi Elena,

I actually noticed this issue happening with the debug build, but the application wouldn't freeze if I had actually run the debugger on it. I haven't actually seen any problems in the release build of my application, which is a good thing, but I'm still worried about what I saw with the debug build.

I am not great with the MAT but I will use it and report back.

Thanks,

Scott

Please use plain text.