Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Trusted Contributor
sucroid
My Device: PlayBook
Accepted Solution

Audio problems with real Z10

I got my Limited Edition Z10 a few days ago.  I found that my app Digital Organ doesn't work properly (making funny noise) on the Z10 but perfectly on the Dev Alpha A and Dev Alpha B.

Could someone with a real Z10 (not the real LE) and Dev Alphas download my app and let me know if it works?  I am unable to locate the problem.  Thanks a million.

Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Audio problems with real Z10

Pretty sure I'm hearing what you hear, on a real Z10.

Works fine on the Dev Alpha here. On the Z10 I hear a repetitive "flapping" sound that repeats at (guessing) 15-20 times a second, not quite consistently since it drops out or fades every so often for a few beats. The intended sound is heard as well, with the two mixed together. I could record it for you if that's not the same as what you hear.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Trusted Contributor
sucroid

Thanks Peter.  That's exactly the problem I got on the Z10.

Now the question is, why are they (Z10 vs Dev Alpha) behaving different?  Aren't they supposed to be the same?

Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans
Developer
peter9477

I have no real idea. Could it just be the OS release? Stuff definitely changed in the audio subsystem, even from the released 10.0.9 to the latest 10.0.10 (which is what I have). My White Noise app (as you recall) magically stopped experiencing its own (different) glitching that had appeared to be related to the bedside mode clock ticking past the one-minute mark.

Only suggestion I can make at the moment is to hack out all the complexity in the app and try a simple, single repeating tone and go where that leads you. Either the issue is fundamental and you'll find it even with trivial code (something to do with the pcm buffering stuff and interrupts, for example) or it won't appear until you've restored most of the more sophisticated parts of your app. The results should give you enough idea to narrow it down eventually.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB

There are 4 different variants of Z10 hardware. Three with Qualcomm cpu and Qualcomm’s WCD9310 audio codec and one with TI OMAP cpu and probably with Wolfson WM8994 audio chipset. Also, Dev Alpha and PB implement TI OMAP cpu and Wolfson WM8994 audio chipset.

Both audio chipsets are quite different, in both audio quality and software imlementation. 

Trusted Contributor
sucroid

[ Edited ]

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

I tracked down the problem.  Something seems to be off with my buffer location.

Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans
Developer
peter9477

sucroid, does that explanation fit with the fact it worked on the Dev Alphas but not the Z10 or LE?

Trusted Contributor
sucroid

Yes. The Z10 LE requires a much larger frag_size than the dev alphas. Upon enlarging my buffer sizes, the problem disappears. But the problem now is much increased latency. I am not entirely happy with the situation. 

Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans