Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
indy2718
My Device: Z10

BB 10.X.Y.B version numbering system and SDK

Hi, after a while of search on google I couldn't find the definition of the SDK / OS version numbering system.   I'm going to make some assumptions, anyone notice any errors please let me know. 

Version 10.X.Y.B

1.  B is bundle.   No API changes.   You can compile and intermix code/objects/libraries built with the same 10.X.Y but different bundle numbers.

2. If X or Y change on the device, your device will still support apps built with a previous version.   For example, the OS is 10.0.10, all apps built with 10.0.9.B will work.  This is because they are linked with the correct lib*.so.1 libs and any IPC API versioning is handled.

3. It is considered a corrupt build if you try to build a app with SDK 10.X.Y and on your device the OS is 10.Q.W and is older than X.Y.   Example.  Building with 10.0.10 and the phone has 10.0.9.

4. You pass your OS version requirement for your app under the tag platformVersion

I think the above is correct.  Does anyone know what the individual numbers mean? (10,X,Y).   Y = small API change, X = new device introduction and API, etc.