Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
chrisedwards
My Device: BB 9900 / Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

BB Simulator / Windows 8 / Hyper-V

Windows 8 comes with Hyper-V, which is preventing me from installing the BB10 simulator. Are there any work-arounds to this, or can we expect this to work in the final release?

I imagine many will use Hyper-V in Windows 8 as it is a much cheaper alternative to VMWare Workstation. Any chances the simulator could be released as a Hyper-V VM? It doesn't look like it's possible to get both Hyper-V and VMWare running together.

Would love to try out Cascades and BB 10 development, but this is preventing me from being able to do that.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BB Simulator / Windows 8 / Hyper-V

Our development tools don't yet support Windows 8.  VMWare Player is required to use the BlackBerry 10 Simulator.

Can you clarify if the issue is running VMWare Player on Windows 8 or the BlackBerry 10 Simulator in VMWare Player in Windows 8?

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chrisedwards
My Device: BB 9900 / Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

VMWare Player will not run in Windows 8 if Hyper-V is installed. As Hyper-V is included no-charge in Windows 8, that's what I've been using to run my development VM's. 

In order to run the BB 10 Simulator, I would need to purchase VMWare Workstation (to get same functionality as Hyper-V), migrate my VM's from Hyper-V to VMWare, and uninstall Hyper-V. Quite a significant barrier to entry for installing the BB 10 Simulator.

I don't know if anyone has had success running VMWare Player / Hyper-V on the same hardware with one disabled/enabled at any given time. It seems this might have been possible with an older version of VMWare Player but VMWare Player 5 won't even install if it see's Hyper-V installed.

Note-- this wasn't really a problem before Windows 8, because Hyper-V was mainly for server virtualization, where-as now it's included in Windows 8 as a virtualization environment for developers. In fact, the Windows Phone 8 emulator requires Hyper-V.

I found this-- http://mobileworld.appamundi.com/blogs/petevickers/archive/2012/11/01/windows-phone-8-the-emulator-h... but have yet to try it. I'm not sure if the same work-around will work with VMPlayer 5 / Windows 8. I will give this a go and report back. It would require reboot each time I want to switch between Hyper-V and VMWare Player, but at least it would work.

Chris

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

Thank you for the explanation.  I have passed this along to our development team for further investigation.  I don't have a solution to offer at this point, but it will be something we'll need to address for Windows 8 support.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Developer
azitnay
My Device: Not Specified

Is this still a known problem? Does the BlackBerry 10 simulator still not support Windows 8?
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

Windows 8 is now supported, but you do need to use VMWare, not Hyper-V.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Developer
azitnay

When I try to install VMware Player on Windows 8, I get:

Error: This product may not be installed on a computer that has Microsoft HyperV installed.

Is there a way around this?

Please use plain text.
Developer
azitnay

Never mind, I figured out how to disable Hyper-V.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
gattytto
My Device: Curve 8500
My Carrier: Movistar

[ Edited ]

No, blackberry emulator is NOT supported in Microsoft Windows Virtualization native infrastructure, which is Hyper-v and works so well because it takes advantage of specific processor capabilities. 

As the emulator is not natively supported by the operating system, the use of THIRD PARTY software is required.

And as another user stated in a previous post of this thread, the third party solution requires payment to give as much functionalities as the native solution (which is not supported by the emulator, and not the other way) offers.

It would be good to mark that difference because it is purely Technical, and not "conceptual", it is not and should not be led to subjetive analysis.

So it is wrong to say that windows 8 "is supported", and marking your own reply as the answer to the question. The technically right answer would be "No, it is not supported, unless you install third party apps in your system and disable native virtualization technologies in the host O.S.". 

So I take your answer as incorrect and will require you to un-mark it as answer, because you will get users confused and they will, at some point, encounter the solution limitations in terms of usability and pricing.

Correct technical answers to the question should be given from the staff to the users in order to allow them to choose the best solution for their needs and billing capabilities.

As a more detailed technical example, I will provide a screenshot of what really is native support for the emulation of phone-devices using Hyper-v:

Foto alojada por zimagez.com

As you can see, the attempt to run the BlackBerry 10.2.1 SDK virtual machine on Hyper-v, will let it frozen in the Screen loading state. 

Windows Phone 8 and Android 4.4 work perfectly fine (also do their internal apps connectivity like internet explorer and google play). Each with only 200MB assigned memory over an LGA775 processor with 2GB total DDR3 800mhz RAM. All this thanks to Windows 2012 Hyper-v virtualization which uses VT-X micro-processor capabilities, since windows 8 will not allow vt-x without a minimum of 4GB of RAM.

Another requirement for running Windows Phone 8 virtual machines over hyper-v in windows 8, is the SLAT processor capability, which is not a requirement in Windows Server 2012 RT2. 

So android V4 works on Hyper-v, Windows Phone 7 & 8 (and 8.1 of course) work on hyper-v, but BlackBerry in any of its versions, nor even 10.2.1 work on hyper-v. So versioning here is not a real proof of development tools advancement over competitors.

So whoever chooses to bet for BlackBerry market for offering their solutions (Standalone developers, businesses and bussinesses groups), will waste additional time (disabling hyper-v and restarting machines or installation of additional operating systems), and money (by buying 3rd party apps to get the same usability and accessibility level) because of a mis-lead production path from the BlackBerry business and Excetuvie teams.

Thanks a lot for opening the discussion! and I hope this helps other users to choose their development approaches and market targets as they begin or start growing/expanding their products over the IT business.

Please use plain text.