Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
blackqtcoder
My Device: PlayBook & STL100-1 LE Z10 & Dev Alpha C
Accepted Solution

BB10 Alpha Device not for Linux

Hi guys ! I got a BB10 Alpha Device at Barcelona's Jam.

I use Kubuntu Linux x86_64.

When I connect Alpha Device using USB port, a screen in device tell me about installing drivers, but only for Windows or Mac. Kubuntu detect device as an audio CD, but can't mount it.

It means that I can't use Alpha Device in Linux, only in Windows or Mac ?

Best regards.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Leandro Cerdan - Duantox Apps
BlackBerry Elite dev
TapyHold, Built for Blackberry multimedia scrapbook
Developer
HorizonXP
My Device: BlackBerry 9900 & PlayBook

Re: BB10 Alpha Device not for Linux

Hi,

I can't really test this for you, since my Dev Alpha's battery is dead, but I have used it successfully in Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64 using QNX Momentics IDE. However, I'll be honest, i never tried connecting it via USB. I always do my work over Wifi.

That might be the easiest solution in this case. I will get back to you on how to use it with USB, if you would like me to.

Founder of Pulsecode Inc. and taab
Authomator - Two-factor authentication codes on BlackBerry 10 - http://www.xitijpatel.com/ - Follow @xitijpatel
Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Developer
trollixx
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha C

I'm currently developing for BB10 elusively on Linux. There's no need in USB connection, but wi-fi will do the best, Just turn on debug mode on the device, push your device token to it and specify deveice's IP in Momentics or like me use blackberry-deploy tool.
--
Oleg Shparber
Developer
blackqtcoder

I will test it.

Thanks!

BlackBerry Elite dev
Developer
HorizonXP

Just tested this right now, and I'm unable to connect the Dev Alpha via USB, because we don't have a driver. You need to use Wifi.

Authomator - Two-factor authentication codes on BlackBerry 10 - http://www.xitijpatel.com/ - Follow @xitijpatel
Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Developer
blackqtcoder

I just to get connecting development alpha with Usb, but not for wifi.

For Usb, set Mac connection on Usb connections at Storage and Sharing menu.

BlackBerry Elite dev
Developer
dkonigs
My Device: Bold 9900

I've found that its really the USB auto-detect that gets confused in Linux.

For basic detection to work cleanly, I just go to the "Storage & Sharing" config menu, and change the "USB Connections" option from "Automatically Detect" to "Connect to Windows".  Now, whenever I plug te device into a Linux machine, it picks it up just fine.

FYI, the USB connection is basically IP-over-USB.  Its not any different than WiFi, except working a little more smoothly.

When you enable "Development Mode", your computer will likely re-detect the device at a different (and basically constant) IP address: 169.254.0.1

P.S. I do all my development work in Linux when possible.  (there are some QML preview bugs that mostly manifest on Linux, which might cause me to switch over to a Windows box instead of temporarily screwing with my video drivers, but that's really just an issue when tinkering/prototyping UI bits)

Developer
blackqtcoder

Yeah, me have the same Qml error preview for Ubuntu x86_64 with Nvidia driver. It's a bug with libosmesa6 and libpng3 conflict.

I now that someone reported this bug, but not even resolved. Perhaps, Momentics Sdk only is a beta, and this annoying error will be resolved.

Thanks dkonigs! 

BlackBerry Elite dev
Developer
HorizonXP

LOL, dkonigs and lewellyn have been quite vocal about that bug. 

I agree though, bit annoying, and hopefully it'll be resolved.

Developer
trollixx
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha C

blackqtcoder,

to get rid off libosmesa and libpng errors just install 32-bit versions of this packages, i.e. libosmesa6:i386 and libpng3:i386.
--
Oleg Shparber