Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
Roshnal
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook with OS 2.0
My Carrier: N/A
Accepted Solution

BB10 Dev Alpha Simulator Issues In Linux

Hello all,

I downloaded the simulator (VMware Image) for Linux from the Cascades tools site, and I successfully installed it and VMware Player 4.0.3 in Ubuntu 12.04.

But when I open the image in VMWare Player, it boots up successfully and I can see the home screen (much like the PlayBook screen). The problem is, its height is way beyond my screen (My screen is a 22" 1080p monitor). So I have to scroll to see the top and bottom of the simulator.

The other problem is, when I give focus to the simulator, my mouse does not go down after half-screen (i.e. The pointer gets stuck at exactly the "half" level of the VMWare Player window). If I scroll to the bottom of the simulator and then give focus, then its the other way round (it won't go above the half-mark).

So any idea anyone? Its really bugging me off..

My BlackBerry 10 apps: Roshnal Lihinikadu
Lots more coming up!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
marioboikov
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Developer

Re: BB10 Dev Alpha Simulator Issues In Linux

Same here.

Actually, I see it more as an emulator than a simulator since it runs on top of vmware.

I would be happy if they could make the QML/Cascades previewer work in the IDE, or even better, provide it as a stand alone CLI tool too. Quiet annoying to have to deploy to target just to see UI changes (I'm on Kubuntu 12.04 64bit w/ nvidia gfx).

Please use plain text.
Developer
Roshnal

Yeah, it really is annoying.. I'm glad to see its their issue now, and not a problem with me PC (I'd really hate to reinstall all that). BTW, I've also got nVidia GFX (Maybe its a problem with the graphics adapter?)

Any idea of a workaround? Basically, Cascades is useless to me at the moment. What's the use if you can only write the code and not test it?

Lots more coming up!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
marioboikov

I don't think it's the GPU. IIRC I read somewhere that they depend on old mesa-libs, that's why the previewer doesn't work.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Roshnal

Nice to hear its not the GPU.. Any idea of a workaround? Or at lease to test apps written in Cascades?

Lots more coming up!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
marioboikov

It seems like we are stucked right now with the issues we are experiencing in the emulator.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gperry

Hi Guys,

I am trying to understand your problem so hopefully you can help me.

I am developing in Windows7 so I am not sure if what I am seeing is the same as you are encountering.

When I am working on the VM I have to remember that when you are in the VM then that takes the focus, in order to

use the scroll bars I need to do the CTRL-ALT to change the focus. In the reverse direction I need to click the VM window in order to "enter" the VM before it takes the mouse clicks.

It is a bit tricky as I usually forget this and think the app has ignored my press before remembering and doing the facepalm.

Graham

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
smacmartin
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

When I click in the VM to give it focus, the cursor is not where I expect it, but I can move the cursor around to find it, and it does let me move through the whole currently visible view.  Are you seeing something different?

When I use ctrl-G to set focus, the cursor is much closer to where my mouse is.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
marioboikov

I could live with the emulator acting as it does because I think this is actually vmware related and not something specific to the BB10 OS.

What I really would like to see is a working Cascades previewer, the one in Eclipse doesn't work for many people. I even tried to boot from Kubuntu to OS X but still experenced problem. You should have some kind of stand-alone tool like the qmlviewer/qmlscene found in QtQuick. I spend more time doing the UI (pixel perfection) than the logic :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
Roshnal

Hi Graham,

Even though the whole focus-in focus-out thing is a pain, I could live with that. The problem is with the BB10 emulator.

When I click the VM window to give the focus to the "inside", the cursor and focus is changed as expected. BUT, I can only move my cursor only half-way through the emulator screen. Let alone, clicking components in my app, I can't even move my cursor to the bottom of the "BB10 Dev Alpha screen".

Any idea why this is?

Roshnal.

Lots more coming up!
Please use plain text.