Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
philkaye
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

BB10 Native/Cascades SDK not connecting to Alpha BB10 simulator

I'm brand new to the world of BB development.  I installed the BB10 native/cascades SDK, the VMWare player and the BB10 Alpha simulator.  I can get the simulator up and running in the virtual machine.  Then I start the IDE, and go to the Blackberry Deployment setup wizard.  It does not autodetect the simulator.  I enter the ip address from the simulator and the password, but the wizard keep saying "failed to set up simulator".

I have verified that i am in developer mode in the simulator.

I'm on a windows 7 machine.

Any suggestions? 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
lcocea
My Device: PlayBook & Nexus 4

Re: BB10 Native/Cascades SDK not connecting to Alpha BB10 simulator

Similar problem here. The sim is listed in the bottom panel of the IDE but upon trying to build & launch any demo app an error message reads that there is a problem building the target. When I try to create a new target using autodetect the simulator is not detected. Manually entering the IP/password of the simulator does not seem to help.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
philkaye

Anybody?  Is there a trick to getting the SDK to connect to the simulator?  Is there some networking setting in Windows 7 that might be getting in the way?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A

Can you try changing your network adapter in vmware to bridge mode? This will connect the VM to your network via your ethernet adapter instead of using the NAT provided by VMware.
Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8 must be enabled under network settings;
Services VMnetDHCP and VMware NAT Service must be running;

And turn off or add exception to windows firewall for auto-discovering the simulator
Please use plain text.
Contributor
philkaye

I turned off my windows firewall and turned off real-time AV.

>> VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8 must be enabled under network settings

Under network settings where, in VMWare or in Windows?  Where do I find this setting?

>>Services VMnetDHCP and VMware NAT Service must be running

I guess I just check this in the task manager.  But if these services don't appear to be running, then what?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
lcocea
My Device: PlayBook & Nexus 4

[ Edited ]

@borceg @daryl_martin - This might explain it, I will check when I get home tonight. But I think a bridged connection was not a requirement for NDK 2.0.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
smacmartin
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

Have you tried rebooting?  I've hit this symptom when reboot fixed it.

I've also had a case where the IP had already been registered, but I had a separate Momentics in a VM talking to the simulator.  When I closed the other VM, I had to select the simulator IP and reconnect.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Offo
My Device: PlayBook and Bold 9900
My Carrier: Wind

I had the same problem and this is what I did:

From your IDE

- Right click on your project in Project Explorer view

- Go to Blackberry Tools and click on Configure Targets...

- Click the Add New Target... button and enter the IP address of your simulator in the Hostname or IP field, enter your password if you have one and the click Finish

To run your app on the simulator:

- In the Project Explorer view, double-click on the bar-descriptor.xml file, then click the Set from Debug Token button to set author information for the app.

- Set the correct build configuration for the simulator first by right-clicking your project and selecting Build Configurations > Set Active > 4 Simulator-Debug.

- In the Project Explorer view, right-click the project and select Build Project.

- Right-click the project again and select Run As > BlackBerry C/C++ Application.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
philkaye

[ Edited ]

hmmm, this is getting very frustrating.  I can't even ping the simulator, so the problem seems to be between my computer and VMWare.

I tried bridged mode and host-only mode, still no good.

In my windows network settings, i see two VMWare adapters under "public network".  One is called VMNet1 and the other is called VMNet8. 

- Under properties, both VMNet1 and VMNet8 say "No network connectivity" for network connection,

- both say Media State: Enabled

- both have a speed of 100.0Mbs. 

- both show in increasing number of packets sent, and 0 packets recieved.

- I went into options and checked "VMWare Bridge Protocol" in the list of things. 

-  The IP addresses are both different from my simulator IP address.

VMNet1  192.168.88.1 (ping works)

VMNet8  192.168.142.1 (ping works)

BB10 simulator IP:  169.254.0.1 (ping gets transmit failed: general failure).

Does any of this point to what my problem might be?  I'm eager to get started and stuck at the gates!

Please use plain text.