Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Trusted Contributor
lcocea
My Device: PlayBook & Nexus 4

Re: BB10 Native/Cascades SDK not connecting to Alpha BB10 simulator

[ Edited ]

@Offo - Thanks, I can now run my apps in the BB10 simulator. I think the critical step was this: "Set the correct build configuration for the simulator first by right-clicking your project and selecting Build Configurations > Set Active > 4 Simulator-Debug". I also re-enabled the VMware Bridge Protocol in the VMware Network Adapters (Control Panel... Network Connections) although autodetection still doesn't seem to work.

Contributor
Offo
My Device: PlayBook and Bold 9900

I'm glad it helped you launch your apps on the simulator.

Contributor
philkaye
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

hmmm, this is getting very frustrating.  I can't even ping the simulator, so the problem seems to be between my computer and VMWare.

I tried bridged mode and host-only mode, still no good.

In my windows network settings, i see two VMWare adapters under "public network".  One is called VMNet1 and the other is called VMNet8. 

- Under properties, both VMNet1 and VMNet8 say "No network connectivity" for network connection,

- both say Media State: Enabled

- both have a speed of 100.0Mbs. 

- both show in increasing number of packets sent, and 0 packets recieved.

- I went into options and checked the box for "VMWare Bridge Protocol" on both. 

-  The IP addresses for VMNet1 and VMNet8 are both different from my simulator IP address.

VMNet1  192.168.88.1 (ping works)

VMNet8  192.168.142.1 (ping works)

BB10 simulator IP:  169.254.0.1 (ping gets transmit failed: general failure).

So I can't PING the simulator, which also means the SDK can't reach it.

I have turned off Windows firewall and disabled real-time AV protection.

Does any of this point to what my problem might be?  I'm eager to get started and stuck at the gates!

BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A

The IP address 169.254.0.1 tells me that the simulator is not getting an IP address from your DHCP server.  When in bridge mode, it should be accessing the DHCP server on your network via the physical ethernet card.  This could be failing if you have the virtual adapters on a “public network” in windows when your DHCP server is on your “private network”.

How are you getting the IP address on the simulator?  Are you clicking the developer icon on the tray at the top of the screen?  

Can you also verify that your vmnetdhcp file contains entries for the simulator?  Instructions are at the link below.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/BB10-Dev-Alpha-Simulator/m-p/1711913#M3780

Contributor
philkaye

[ Edited ]

>>This could be failing if you have the virtual adapters on a “public network” in windows when your DHCP server is on your “private network

Yes this sounds consistent with what I see.  How would I change it so the virtual adapters are on my "private network" in windows?

>> How are you getting the IP address on the simulator?  Are you clicking the developer icon on the tray at the top of the screen?  

Yes.

>> Can you also verify that your vmnetdhcp file contains entries for the simulator?

I'll try that tonight. 

However - if i select "host only" in VMWare, what IP address would the simulator use?  In this case DCHP would not be involved, right?  This is what i really want - i want to be able to run my apps on the simulator when my laptop is not connected to my network.  My apps don't need network access, and so I don't need the sim to have network access - i just need it to run my apps from the SDK.  In this case, do i skip the  Blackberry Deployment setup wizard?

Thanks for your help!! 

Trusted Contributor
lcocea
My Device: PlayBook & Nexus 4

[ Edited ]

Just noticed that the icon/shortcut that was pinned to the taskbar in Windows 7 was not the icon/shortcut of the .bat file in the NDK Start menu but the icon of the qde executable. Perhaps the NDK10 environment was messed up because commands in the .bat file were not executed prior to launching qde? Unfortunately, the .bat file cannot be easily pinned to the task bar, therefore one must launch it either from the Start menu or from a shortcut to this file created, for exemple, on the desktop.

Also, I changed the BB10 simulator release to 1.0.0.7 (the one that comes with WebWorks for BB10) and I had to manually enter the IP and password for this new one as it was not detected automagically.

Contributor
philkaye

Still stuck.

>> How are you getting the IP address on the simulator?  Are you clicking the developer icon on the tray at the top of the screen?  

i'm clicking on the settings icon in the simulator, and going into security->development mode, and then looking at "development address". 

>> Can you also verify that your vmnetdhcp file contains entries for the simulator?

That file doesn't appear to have any entries for the simulator.  What do I do in this case?

Also,   note that in the windows network settings for both VMNet1 and VMNet8, under view network connection details it says DHCP Enabled:  No.  This is not an editable entry though - i don't see anywhere to enable dhcp for it.  

Hoping somebody can help me get up and running, thanks!

Contributor
Offo
My Device: PlayBook and Bold 9900

Find the vmnetdhcp file on your system, for my windows 7 machine it's in C:\ProgramData\VMware.  This file will contain all the IP addresses assigned by the vmware DHCP server.
Run the BB10 Dev Alpha simulator on VMware Player. After the simulator is completely loaded then Ping the IP addresses on your vmnetdhcp file. The one that responds will be your IP address.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A

I'm not overly familiar with windows networking, so I’m not sure how to move adapters between networks. 

It does sound like your VM just can't contact a DHCP server.  If you want to work offline, you should use the NAT mode but for this to work you need to make sure that vmnetdhcp.exe is running on your machine.  If it's not, you need to go into your windows services and start up VMWare DHCP, reboot the simulator, and try again.

It might be worthwhile to re-install VMware since it does sound like a problem in the player. 

Contributor
philkaye

>> It does sound like your VM just can't contact a DHCP server.  If you want to work offline, you should use the NAT mode but for this to work you need to make sure that vmnetdhcp.exe is running on your machine.  If it's not, you need to go into your windows services and start up VMWare DHCP, reboot the simulator, and try again.

Hmmm... vmware dhcp does not appear in the list of available windows services.  the only vmware services i see in the list (from msconfig->services) are vmware authorization service and vmware usb arbitration services (both are running).

I had already tried a reinstall of vmware once.