Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
philkaye
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: BB10 Native/Cascades SDK not connecting to Alpha BB10 simulator

Been beating my head agains this all  morning - about ready to give up.

I tried installing everything on a different machine (a desktop), and the behaviour is exactly the same.

I did verify that the vmware dhcp service in windows is started (by looking in administrative tools), but my simulator is still not getting an IP address.  I did use windows network diagnostic tools to enable dhcp on vmnet1 and vmnet8, and now they say "DCHP Enabled = yes", but the sim is still not getting an ip address from the system  (tried Bridge mode, NAT mode and Host Only mode), and the sdk can't connect to it.

As I said, this has been the same on two seperate windows 7 machines - so I'm surprised this doesn't seem to be a well-known problem.

At this point, I  don't know what else to try.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Meghasanghvi

Hi,

I also face the same issue and stuck on the developement for Blackberry 10.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BryceMcMurter
My Carrier: Telus

>> How are you getting the IP address on the simulator?  Are you clicking the developer icon on the tray at the top of the screen?  

>>i'm clicking on the settings icon in the simulator, and going into security->development mode, and then looking at "development address". 

Goining into security->development mode>development address wont give you your ip address. My simulator shows the same address when I go that route.

Your real address can be found by clicking on the picture of the person with the little cog wheel on their chest that should be beside the date and time on the home screen. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
philkaye

>> Your real address can be found by clicking on the picture of the person with the little cog wheel on their chest that should be beside the date and time on the home screen. 

Ah, brilliant!  That did it.  I might suggest RIM should clarify this in the documentation for the native sdk, as this did cause me quite a bit of headache. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
eqazn

Hi, I'm also new to development.  The only programming experience I have is programming in C# and C++ in university (I'm still in school).

I have the same problem and cannot make use of any of the posts in this thread.  I don't even know what the Project Explorer view mentioned is. I've installed the NDK, Simulator, and VMware. I got the Simulator working on VMware, but when I do the setup wizard on the IDE, it does not auto-discover the Simulator.

Much appreciated if someone can help me get past this stage, I've always had problems setting up environments.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin

The documentation has been updated to make clarify how you get an IP address in the simulator, see link below.  If you have any other feedback for documentation please feel free to PM me. 

https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/resources

Please use plain text.
daryl_martin

Follow the instructions outlined in the link below to get the simulators IP address and then just enter it in the IDE if auto-discovery is failing for you. 

https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/resources

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
eqazn

Hi Daryl,

There is no response on my Simulator when I click the development mode icon.  None of the top buttons work.  The clock does run and I can side scroll the bottom portion where the Browser is located. I can "open" the Browser to a black screen as well.

Please use plain text.
daryl_martin

Ah, you must have an integrated intel video card.  We are looking into this issue but for now you can reboot into safe mode, get the IP address, and then go back into normal mode. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
eqazn

Yes you're correct that I have an integrated intel video card.

I don't understand the documentation for getting into safe mode, it says:

"you can click inside the simulator window before it starts and selectBB10DevAlphaSafe as your screen type to continue without supported graphics."

So do I click "Play Virtual Machine" and click on the black screen before the DevAlpha boots up? But there is no option for me to select the safe mode.

Thanks for your quick replies.

Please use plain text.