Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A

Re: BB10 Native/Cascades SDK not connecting to Alpha BB10 simulator

Try manually adding the simulator by going to File->New->Other and then select the BlackBerry/BlackBerry Target wizard.  Then just enter the IP address and click finish and you should see a new target appear on your project explorer. 

If you lose the connection to the simulator due to a reboot or other error then all you have to do is right click on the simulator target -> BlackBerry Tools -> Connect and you will be up and running again.

Hope this helps

Developer
StevenKader
My Device: Z10 LE

That helped....right click and under BlackBerry Tools -> Connect.  Not that it is connected it is not working because " Selected binary and target do not match x86" .  Anythink else I forgot/need to do.  This target simulator gets filtered out.

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
daryl_martin

Please confirm that your build target for Hello world is "Simulator-Debug" by right clicking on your project -> Build Configurations -> Set Active -> Simulator Debug to make sure it's building for x86. 

Developer
StevenKader
My Device: Z10 LE

That worked....I thought you could change it in the run configurations but that didn't help....need to change the project settings..  Should it work by just changing the run configuration setting?  

Also,  I think when the target is acquired and named it should attempt to connect automatically. 

Thanks for the help.

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Regular Contributor
Q-T
My Device: non-Blackberry user

[ Edited ]

Sorry for the delay. I actually spent about 20 minutes on it today, creating a project and studying things a little and it paid off (ignorance is not bliss). 

Here are a few critics of this process.

When I fire up the new BB Cascade template Wizard I always see this message associated with the simulator:  "Simulator Auto Discovery Failed".  I do not know why as the simulator was running on my desktop.

On this same wizard I see a message "You do not have your CSJ File".  CSJ is an acronym used twice but no where defined. Users like me new to BB10 development do not know what CSJ means, so please define the acronym once.

In the IDE I have four items in the build pull down menu:

Default,

Device-Debug,

Device-Release

Simulator Debug.

This was my mistake earlier I think in that I was just hitting the build button which did not build for the simulator.  Aside from the pull down menu it might be nice to know what build you are using, a label somewhere.

Under the Run it as also a bit confusing as there are two items

Run as BB Application

Run As BB Dialog. 

No doubt as I read the documentation it will become clear as to the difference Now I know thatif I choose Run as BB Dialog it will bring up a configure dialog which is really confusing with all the variables there are to set.  I'd like to se this go away.

So there you have it -  a few paper cuts from a new user such as myself.I think if you could do something to simplify the IDE and get rid of these timy paper cuts it will not only be better for new users like myself, but also for your support staff

I am looking forward to getting over this intro learning curve and to start making some nice apps for BB10. In a months time, I might look back a this post with the understaning of how dumb I was. But post it here in the hopes it helps you really create a great developers experience for novices like me :Rolleyes:.

Thanks

daryl_martin

Thanks for taking the time to work through the issues and providing such detailed feedback, it's greatly appreciated!  I will pass this along to the appropriate people internally. 

Daryl

New Developer
Brunix
My Device: Torch 9800 - Blackberry Playbook

Hello everyone, my simulator BB10 and 'SDK does not connect. Of course the simulator is in development mode but the SDK doesn't find the ip address. How can I do? I need to change the IP address?
Obviously simulator and SDK beta 3

daryl_martin

You can manually enter the IP address into Momentics.  We added a small status bar at the very bottom of the screen that tracks the IP address, pin, and the status of a few services on the simulator. 

New Developer
Brunix
My Device: Torch 9800 - Blackberry Playbook

If I add the IP address manually, Momentics does not connect to the simulator. The same thing happens if I use the Auto discovery, why?

daryl_martin

Are you currently on VPN?  Can you ping the simulator from the command prompt?  Do you see the "qconn" service listed at the bottom of the simulator?

Also what version of simulator are you running?