Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
coreb
My Device: Bold 9700
Accepted Solution

BB10 OTA App Installation

I know this is off topic for this forum, but I don't know where else to start the discussion amongst fellow developers. 

Has there been any news on if BB10 is going to allow OTA installs like the current BBOS does? 

New Contributor
tbalaclava
My Device: 9700, Playbook 64G

Re: BB10 OTA App Installation

I assume you're asking about updating the OS which will be OTA

Developer
taylortbb
My Device: Bold 9900 + PlayBook

App distribution is expected to be through App World only.
--------
Taylor Byrnes
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

As Taylor said, OTA for the OS updates, but App World for the apps. This should apply both to the phones and to the PlayBook.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor
coreb

That's what I thought. I know we're already doing it this way for the PB, but I don't like the idea of having OTA App install taken away from me on the phone. I wish they would allow it as an option.

Developer
peter9477

Well, are you speaking as a user who would want to install apps that way, or as a developer who would like to be able to sideload for development purposes (debugging, testing)?

We're not expecting to lose the latter ability, which we have now.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
dkonigs
My Device: Passport

There's also the perspective of a developer who wants to be able to easily distribute the latest-and-greatest beta and/or debug versions of their app to end users, while maintaining an AppWorld product for "official releases".

Contributor
coreb

That's my perspective as well.
Developer
peter9477

I would expect that at the same time as they disable sideloading, they'll also enable an alternative approach to doing the same thing, but presumably through App World. Something like the currently broken ability to distribute "draft" releases through App World, but hopefully with a bit more sophistication. (Like maybe PIN or BBID whitelists?)

Something like that would presumably be a step up from sideloading, and having to teach beta users how to use the tools for that, etc.