Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook

BB10 User Interface and horizontal scrolling listviews

Hi Folks!

I have published a Application for the Nokia N9 which has 2 Listviews in eachother. The one scrolls vertical, the other scrolls horizontal.

I wonder if such a application is even possible at BB10.

I saw a UI demo video in which a email gots opened and inside this application a pdf attachment. By swiping from the middle of the screen to the right first the mail app got visible and by moving the finger a little bit more to the right the mail application appeared.

If I understand it correctly this is a system ui action. One Application opened each other and got stacked.

At the Nokia N9 horizontal scrolling list views were without problems possible because system swipes were only detected if they were beginning from the border of the screen to the middle. But at the most preview videos which shows the mail client such interaction begans at the middle of the screen.

Any thoughts?

Is this gesture only email application related or is it system wide?  I'm confused and unable to test it myself. :Helpsmilie:

Best regards,

helex

Developer
greenback
My Device: (BlackBerry Z10)-> Q10/Passport Dual Use

Re: BB10 User Interface and horizontal scrolling listviews

Vertical list view is already available in the current BB10 Cascades API. Horizontal scrolling lists are coming in the next Dev Alpha update.

Both types of lists can be extended. You can create custom components that use rich animations and ui already provided by the cascades framework.

Use gestures.h library class to access touch gestures. Swiping from the left to the middle of the screen is basically detecting the touch position in the area around 1/2 the height of the screen. Calculate direction of swipe (left or right). In your case from the right moving left around the center. Trigger an action once you hit a general area of points.

:Cowboy:

Developer
helex

greenback wrote:

Use gestures.h library class to access touch gestures. Swiping from the left to the middle of the screen is basically detecting the touch position in the area around 1/2 the height of the screen. Calculate direction of swipe (left or right). In your case from the right moving left around the center. Trigger an action once you hit a general area of points. 

Hmm... I'm not sure if my application could work in combination with the final BB10 User Interface or if the horizontal scrolling thru the apps would conflict with my current implementation I made for my application at the Nokia N9. So testing at the current Playbook UI doesn't work for me.

Are there any news if and when the BlackBerry Dev Alpha could get a Alpha or Beta of the final BB10 User Interface?

Developer
connyhald
My Device: Playbook

I guess you have to wait for some real BB10 UI to appear. I've seen this "peek" or "glance" thing only on videos so far. Who knows if 3rd party developers will have access to it at all.

Still if this would be a system-wide gesture I'm sure they'll add something to deactivate it. Many apps need to be able to handle those kinds of swipes by themselves.

-----------
http://kodira.de
BB Apps: Pattern :: Plonk
Developer
Cozz
My Device: Torch

greenback wrote:

Vertical list view is already available in the current BB10 Cascades API. Horizontal scrolling lists are coming in the next Dev Alpha update.

Both types of lists can be extended. You can create custom components that use rich animations and ui already provided by the cascades framework.

:Cowboy:

Then I question would be, does anyone have a time frame of the next dev alpha update?

Updated my pin
Developer
helex

connyhald wrote:

I guess you have to wait for some real BB10 UI to appear. I've seen this "peek" or "glance" thing only on videos so far. Who knows if 3rd party developers will have access to it at all.

Still if this would be a system-wide gesture I'm sure they'll add something to deactivate it. Many apps need to be able to handle those kinds of swipes by themselves.

They showed it also live at the Berlin event. But I haven't noted where they began to swipe. But they showed it also only at the mail client if I remember correctly and nowhere else. The other stuff was only the normal swype away just like at the N9 but with mail and IM icons including the number of unread messages. So I'm wondering if this gesture from the middle is perhaps only limited to the mail client. 

Hmm... I will wait for some weeks. Perhaps we're able to get the update before the end of the month. Then I'm able to test it myself. Will try to port something different in the meantime. But you're right. We should always be able to turn off gestures, just like at harmattan for some games to avoid accidental swypes.