Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Torch 9800, Bold 9700
My Carrier: Bell, Rogers

BB10 for existing Playbooks

Will apps built today for BB10 work on existing playbooks?

I am confused about this. I thought BB10 will be pushed out to existing playbooks once (or soon after) BB10 devices have been released.

But I have also heard that the playbook hardware is not powerful enough to support BB10 so does this mean there will be new versions of playbooks released with BB10?

I have also seen hacks for getting existing BB10 cascades apps running on playbook but I think these are just dirty hacks and the apps are not capable of running well.

Berobo Inc.
Police Scanner Radio / Alarm Clock lets you listen to Police scanners in your area!
http://www.berobo.com
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: BB10 for existing Playbooks

I'm not sure who told you "PlayBook hardware is not powerful enough to support BB10" but it's not a credible statement.

As for "will apps built today for BB10 work on existing PlayBooks?" that's not necessarily a clear "Yes" yet, since we don't know what changes may be required to the APIs (if any) to fully support the PlayBook, and we don't know what developers may have to do (if anything) to things like assets to get them to scale well to the different screen size (different both physically and in resolution).

But basically BB10 will run on the PlayBooks once they've adapted and optimized it. That's very roughly targetted for a beta maybe 2-3 months after the phones are released, and a final version maybe 2-3 months after that. (Those are pretty speculative, but the info comes from RIM employees at Jam Americas, so it was their best guess at the time.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!