Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
aludin
My Device: BB10
My Carrier: NA

BB10 native sdk 10.2 beta debugging over wifi extremely slow

Trying to debug an app over wifi. At first the system seems to hang but then the debugging process is simply very very slow. Has anyone else experienced this?

Debugging the same app using usb works just fine. 

Also i've noticed that the ip addresses of the device over wifi and the development mode do not match. Could this be the cause of the problem?

Is there a way to change the development ip address to match the wifi address of the blackberry device? It seems that I can only change the last 2 bytes of the development ip address (the first 2 seem to be fixed at 169.254 under Security & privacy->Development mode, whereas the actual ip of the device is 192.168.1.35) 

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Developer
DrShavargo
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: -

Re: BB10 native sdk 10.2 beta debugging over wifi extremely slow

169.254 is the development id, while 192.168 is the device's local ip address on the network (most printers and peripherals on your network/connected to your computer will have such an ip). Your device connects to the network with the 192.168 address, but debugs with 169.254. So no, you can't change it.

However, it's irrelevant since wi-fi is extremely slow in comparison to using a usb. Debug via usb whenever possible, since it's not worth the trouble to speed up wi-fi debugging (unless it's absolutely necessary).
----------------------------------------
Remember to mark the thread as solved at the post that solved your problem, and if you like a post, like it!
Please use plain text.
Developer
lgingell
My Device: Not Specified

I'm experiencing the same slow debug over wifi.  

(I totally don't believe this isn't the difference between wifi speeds and USB speeds! what are we transferring 100's of gigs of data?!)

Seems like more of a name resolution issue to me, or a difference in the handling of the discovery of the device over wifi - timeouts etc.

Unfortunately, debugging over USB doesn't work at all for me with 10.2, and over wifi is so flakey it isn't practical.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rob_bb10
My Device: N serial
My Carrier: NIM

Hi aludin,

Maybe you can change the deployment option "not install, use app from target"(debug configuration-->Upload tab in IDE), if it's not necessary  to install the app in each time. Becase the upload costs time if the app size is big.

But sometimes I found it's not stable by wifi, so I suggest another solution by command line. If it's not necessary to update and upload app, just for debug the app from target.

1 Launch and allow native debugging by blackberry-deploy.bat (host_xxx_x\win32\x86\usr\bin)

The option below is very usefull:
  -debugNative   - hold native application immediately after the spawn to allow native debugging

Full command is:

blackberry-deploy.bat -launchApp -debugNative -device <host | IP> -password <password> -package-fullname <package full name>

Finished, it returns the PID info:

Info: Sending request: Launch
Info: Action: Launch
Info: Debug native: on
Info: Launching <app>
result::27476062
Info: done

2 gdb remotely and attach the process by ntoarm-gdb (host_xxx_x\win32\x86\usr\bin)

target qnx IP:8000

file app

attach PID

b main

Cannot access memory at address 0x0
Breakpoint 1 at 0x809bfaa: file ../src/main.cpp, line 27.
(gdb) c
Continuing.

Breakpoint 1, main (argc=1, argv=0x75cf074) at ../src/main.cpp:27
27          Application app(argc, argv);

you can reference the link:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/How-does-base-sbin-launcher-work/m-p/24489...

Please use plain text.
Developer
ectar
My Device: Tegra 2 Android tablet and Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

DrShavargo wrote:
169.254 is the development id, while 192.168 is the device's local ip address on the network (most printers and peripherals on your network/connected to your computer will have such an ip). Your device connects to the network with the 192.168 address, but debugs with 169.254. So no, you can't change it.

Are you saying that there is way to debug via WIFI ?

http://riahut.com
Please use plain text.