Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
coolpowers
My Device: Developer

BB10 performance and resolution

I took delivery of a dev alpha A yesterday and had my game up and running almost immediately - so thankful for a standard development platform and environment! For reference, it's built around GLES1.1

I'm not too happy with performance though - it's not hitting 60fps at all, let alone consistently and smoothly. I could lock it to 30fps but I'm reluctant to do so and would certainly make the BB10 version inferior to the other mobile platform it runs on. However, from reading up on the specs of the alpha devices ( http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/10/blackberry-10-dev-alpha-a-b-specs/ ), I'm pretty confident that it's simply that the A device is underpowered for the native resolution it's pushing. On paper the B device has a GPU that's twice as fast, and I wonder if anyone has been able to confirm that? While we've been told repeatedly that the dev alphas are not the final specs for the first BB10 devices, one would assume that the GPU will be much closer to the B.

As I'm the kind of guy who really doesn't like going on hope, will there be a chance to have our apps tested on final hardware before release, or at least have my app tested on a dev B device to see if it hits 60fps there?

Finally, resolution. http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/08/blackberry-10-screen-resolutions/ says the first BB10 full touch device will keep the 1280x768 of the dev alphas, but with RIM set to release 2 devices at launch, will we also have to support 720x720 right away? Will there be a way to restrict apps to only full touch if we can't/won't support both form factors?

Contributor
coolpowers
My Device: Developer

Re: BB10 performance and resolution

Did someone at RIM read my post and flip the "go faster" switch? Because after adding more stuff to the game, the framerate has doubled.

An alternate explanation would be that even though I had switched to a release build it wasn't actually being built as such. Either way, I'm pretty happy right now.