Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
torpesco
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: Wind Mobile
Accepted Solution

BB10 simulator - proper shut down?

Dumb question. How do I do a proper shut down of the simulator? The first time I looked around, I couldn't find anything, so I just left it running (for weeks). VMware handled my laptop being put into sleep mode many, many times just fine.

Is there a better way than simply doing a forced shutdown of the VM?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: BB10 simulator - proper shut down?

There should be a menu along the top somewhere (or icon? it's been a while since I used it) which has a "Power Off" option of some kind under it.

Just closing it should also be fine though... I rather think QNX is better able to handle a forced shutdown situation than just about anything else around. ;-)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
torpesco

Yeah, it's the seeks to handle forced shutdown ok. :smileyhappy:

The only menu I see right now is brought up by clicking on the battery icon, and doesn't appear to have any shutdown setting. I assume on the device, one would use a physical power button...

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

The battery icon is running inside the simulator. I meant look for a menu in VMWare itself, probably along the top frame of the window somewhere. Whatever shuts VMWare down cleanly should be good enough for the simulator. The real device does have a power button that, if you press it for 4s straight, does a controlled shutdown. (Less than that, it shows a dialog with Cancel/Lock/Restart options.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
torpesco

peter9477 wrote:
The battery icon is running inside the simulator. I meant look for a menu in VMWare itself, probably along the top frame of the window somewhere. Whatever shuts VMWare down cleanly should be good enough for the simulator. The real device does have a power button that, if you press it for 4s straight, does a controlled shutdown. (Less than that, it shows a dialog with Cancel/Lock/Restart options.)

Yeah, the VMware menu option is "force shut down" -- why I was calling it a forced shutdown. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.