Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

My Device: Z10
My Carrier: TMobile

BBMSP Contacts and Contact lists always empty

I'm having a lot of trouble fetching contacts from the bbmsp apis. 

I'm using core/native right now since this is a cocos2dx port and that runs through native. 

I register the app with my own UUID just fine using the sample code from:

I can get events, get my own user info and PPID just fine. However when i try to get contact lists i always get an empty list. With the Native SDK after registering for events and initializing bbm/bbmsp i've tried

then i handle the BBMSP_SP_EVENT_CONTACT_LIST_FULL event in my bps event loop eventually calling

bbmsp_contact_list_get_all_contacts(contactList, contactsArray);

This all compiles and runs fine, but the contactList and contactsArray always end up empty.  I've tried uploading to app world and downloaded/run from the sandbox with a couple BBM contacts and the code always ends up with empty lists/no contacts. 

Ultimately bbmsp_contact_list_get() is supposed to trigger an event that fetches contacts using the app. I'm wondering if there Is there some nuance i'm missing about this definition (what "this app" means for instance, in the context of multiple versions of the app and some not using BBMSP)

Some details about the app in case:

- it's already public on app world, though the current release version has no BBMSP integration.

- A draft version that i use in sandbox mode to test this functionality does have BBMSP integration

- I've tried this in debug mode and I've also tried the cascades APIs with the same problems

- Native SDK

- all API calls are returning no errors (BBMSP_SUCCESS etc), so there is no visible problem for me to debug

Without the APIs working in a testing environment of some sort I can't really release a couple of features relying on BBMSP with any  confidence, so any help understanding BBMSP would be appreciated.

Let me know if i ought to provide any more info.

- Patrck

All Replies
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BBMSP Contacts and Contact lists always empty

Have you installed the application on multiple devices?  Note that the API does not return all BBM contacts, only those that have your application installed.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker