Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
djogon
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Various
Accepted Solution

BETA 4 Animations VERY choppy

We just rebuilt our app with BETA 4 and immediately noticed choppiness while animating objects around. At first - the thought was compiler issue so we rebuilt for release etc. to no avail.

We still have slightly different version of the app on the device which was built with BETA 3 - that one runs GREAT. The animations are very smooth. This is a BIG step in a wrong direction. 

I've logged a bug here https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-445

This now gives impression that the device is inferior since animations are kind of "skipping" as if the device cannot keep up. Ehis is not the case - the device CAN keep up fine since we can see the app with the old SDK working fine.

This is happening on Dev Alpha B device and the latest BETA 4 SDK.

If you noticed similar issue - please upvote and comment the bug at the URL below.

To reproduce - simply create a few ImageViews and try to animate them at the same time across the screen. It will get choppy while it used to be very smooth.

This is not good :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Developer
djogon
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Various

Re: BETA 4 Animations VERY choppy

We have determined the source of Animation choppiness and the overall sluggish and choppy app running.

It is the Banner ad we inserted into the app. It was ok in BETA 3, but in BETA 4 it bogs down the system completely and everything is very choppy and not responding as it should.

As soon as the Banner is removed - the app runs smoothly again.

So - if your app does have performance issues - check if you're using bb::cascades:advertisement::Banner - removing it will most likely restore the performance to what you were use to.

A Bug with sample code has been filed for this at the URL below

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-449

Please use plain text.