Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
MasterOfBinary
My Device: PB 32
My Carrier: Koodo Mobile
Accepted Solution

Background tasks or scheduling

I'm trying to make an app that does something every day or so. Is there a way to either schedule it (probably best) or have it run in the background? My understanding is that background tasks aren't supported.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Background tasks or scheduling

Your understanding is correct. As of now, and probably until some time after BB10 launch, we will not have the ability to run any sort of background task that is part of the app itself. Apps cannot be scheduled to launch, nor configured to auto-launch at startup.

There's a possibility there will be some capability added in this area using the Invocation Framework, maybe supported by something in a system app (e.g. with an alarm capability, in effect a timed launch).

You may also be able to use the Push services capability in some fashion to do something like this, but I'm not aware of any documentation that covers what that API will provide yet. I understand it will be capable of launching apps, presumably if the app has registered in some fashion, based on the receipt of data, but beyond that I have no idea what it will be able to do.

In short, for now your only supported and documented means of having an app "do something every day" is if the user chooses to launch it every day, or keeps it running all the time.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.