Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Basic UI components in NDK 2.0.1?

I'm just trying to get up to speed to start playing around with writing some native code for my playbook using NDK 2.0.1.  One thing that hasn't jumped out at me from the documentation or tutorials is where to find libraries for creating basic UI elements (text boxes, buttons, menus etc?).  Surely RIM has provided libraries for some of this stuf ready-made?  I can't imagine I'd have to learn Open GL just to do this (totally common) stuff from native code?  What am i missing?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Basic UI components in NDK 2.0.1?

Look for the beta Cascades SDK: https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/cascades/

Cascades (built on Qt) is the path to getting typical business app UIs with buttons and text boxes etc in native code. If you were writing a high performance game you'd go straight to "raw" NDK, but for non-game apps Cascades is the way to go.

Note that Cascades is not yet support on the PlayBook, so until BB10 is released for the PlayBook it's possible you will not be able to use it there.

Some of us are hoping that the OS 2.1 update for PlayBook bundles some sort of Cascades support, but I'm not sure how realistic that hope is... we'll apparently find out the outcome very shortly (by end of May?).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE & PlayBook

@BlackBerryDev's answer when I asked about Cascades for the PlayBook: #Cascades support for PB will come shortly after launch of the 1st #BB10 smartphone, and there should be a beta beforehand  ^PB
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my apps in the BlackBerry World
Visit my developer blogs /dev/alopix and /home/alopix
BBM Channel: C0047B612
Contributor

Wow - I'm starting to understand why there are so few apps for Blackberry devices out there.

This is honestly a bit shocking.  It sounds like there won't be any native support for programming basic UI components for the Playbook until early 2013 (shortly after the release of BB10). That will be nearly TWO YEARS after the release of the Playbook!  Wow.

Anyway - thanks guys!  I'm starting to re-think whether it's even worth going down this path at this time.  I hesitate to spend a bunch of my spare time learning to develop for a platform that won't even be available for many months, and whose long-term success is uncertain :smileysad:

Developer

Lots of other devs will be happy to pick up the slack then, so no problem. ;-)

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Bold 9650, Dev Alpha A
My Carrier: Sprint

Note that there's a boatload of workable solutions out there available for the NDK. RIM simply doesn't provide their own out-of-box set just yet. Personally, I'm glad I have a choice rather than being stuck in the vendor's small little world.

Also, if you aren't wanting to use a non-native UI (not that native vs non-native is a huge argument on the PlayBook right now), there's always the other SDKs.

Remember, RIM's given us choice. That means their priorities are different from the competition. This is generally considered to be a good thing. As Peter noted, if you don't like it, there are plenty of other people who do. :smileyhappy:

Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Like this post too! :smileyvery-happy:
Contributor

>> Lots of other devs will be happy to pick up the slack then, so no problem. ;-)

?  Strange comment, and not very encouraging.  This is just a hobby - an interest of mine, so there won't be any "slack" resulting from how much I decide to do or not-do.  It just is a bit disappointing that what seem to me to be fundamental basic tools for developers are not going to be available for the Playbook until two years after its release.  I imagine "Lots of other devs" are also eager to see this stuff come out.  Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to RIM-bash - I love the playbook user interface - the swiping model for app-switching is just brilliant and totally intuitive.  I very much want RIM, blackberry 10 and the Playbook to succeed.  It's just frustrating wanting to get going on native app development (not for games, but apps for musicians) and not having a proper spectrum of tools available.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

>> Note that there's a boatload of workable solutions out there available for the NDK. 

Ok, that's kind of what I was hoping to find out by posting this thread.  Could you advise on a good starting point to find some of these?  I started reading about Open GL, but I'm thinking that's way overkill for the basic UI stuff I want to be able to do.

>>Also, if you aren't wanting to use a non-native UI (not that native vs non-native is a huge argument on the PlayBook right now), there's always the other SDKs.

A couple of reasons I've decided to get started with native.  (1) my sole programming background is C/C++, so it's what I'm most familiar with, and (2) I want to get into developing apps for musicians, with high-performance audio capabilities.  After a bit of reading, it seemed to me that native would give  me the most power and flexibility to start building the pieces I need for audio from the ground up.

>> As Peter noted, if you don't like it, there are plenty of other people who do

I'm not sure where these comments are coming from. I'm not competing with you or anybody else, so I'm not sure why discouragement is the tone I'm hearing.  I'm just interested and wanting to learn.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Bold 9650, Dev Alpha A
My Carrier: Sprint

http://blackberry.github.com/ may be a good starting point if you don't want to worry so much about doing the porting work yourself. Also, the NDK samples might be a good start as well.

Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Like this post too! :smileyvery-happy:
Developer

philkaye wrote: 

I'm not sure where these comments are coming from. I'm not competing with you or anybody else, so I'm not sure why discouragement is the tone I'm hearing.  I'm just interested and wanting to learn.

You're not just interested and wanting to learn, or you wouldn't have felt the need to express how incredibly shocking the situation is.

You're not saying anything we haven't heard literally hundreds of times before, so it's really quite trite and tiresome at this point.