Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
yogeshwarp
My Device: Dev Alpha A
My Carrier: Airtel
Accepted Solution

Beta 4 - WebView app freeze post exit

Post updating to beta4 I have a strange issue. After application is closed the icon shows grayed out indefinitely. No matter how much time I wait it stays in that state.

Now the issue appears to be WebView embedded in one of the page. When the page containing WebView is navigated to application goes in this state. Otherwise the app icon is active as soon as application exits or within a minute becomes available again.

Never had this issue in beta3 although I got lot of application is slayed popups once I stared using the WebView.

Please suggest a solution as this is forcing me to reboot the VM each time this issue occurs. Is there any way to clean up the webview before app exits?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Beta 4 - WebView app freeze post exit

I can confirm the same behaviour with one of my two apps which use WebViews.

Both are actually fairly similar, using it to generate a data plot, but they're nowhere near identical either in the exact WebView-related code, nor in the structure of the rest of the app, so it's not obvious what the difference is yet.

I'll post more if I narrow it down any.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
yogeshwarp

As soon I comment out WebView from qml file the issue is gone. so its definately webview. not setting any URL did not help so not sure what to try further.

Anyways thinking of going back to beta 3 now till this issue is resolved. its driving me crazy

Please use plain text.
Contributor
base8
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Try sending a SIGTERM. Switch to the QNX System Information perspective then in the Target Navigator, in the usb node, right-click on your app name and select "Send signal..." then you can select what type of signal to send. The default is SIGTERM.

Just a note that I'm using ComponentDefinition to define my custom web view control that contains a WebView and I'm using createObject to only create it when I need the web view. I'm using "onPopTransitionEnded: page.destroy()" to clean up. When I quit, it seems to hang as described in this post but after about a minute the app completely exited and the icon was no longer greyed out.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
lew
My Device: Dev Alpha
My Carrier: -

[ Edited ]

have this issue too, and it nevers unblocks....had to reboot device :smileysad:

@base8: in my case, the app is not even displayed in the QNX Sys info perspective :smileysad:  only see the qconn process running

It appears that the app is stuck in a closing state ...

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Okay, now I've got this with another app which has no WebView at all.

I suspect this is related to the old "Application did not respond to exit message and has been slayed" message we've all seen a lot. I'm not seeing that any more at all... so I think we've basically swapped that annoying but rather cosmetic issue with this far more annoying and counter-productive issue. :-(

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

In case it really is the same thing, note that I just freed up my crashed app. I am generally SSHed in while I'm testing, so I ran "pidin" and it was still listed. (We can see details on only our own apps, and they show up at the end of the output.) I used "slay" with the PID to terminate the app, and immediately the icon returned from the ghosted state and I could run it again.

Will investigate further. At the moment, the other app which has the WebView plot is no longer dying that way, which actually supports my theory. The old "did not respond to exit" dialog was never 100% repeatable, and I think this new behaviour is not either.

Please use plain text.
Developer
bbquincar
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Dev C
My Carrier: Rogers

is this problem occuring on the sim or the dev device i seem to be having the same issue on the sim.

with regards to simple ads app and a webview app i have.

my app was approved in (vendor) BlackBerry World and once the beta 4 came out it was removed from BlackBerry World. im assuming this is the issue my app has the same ads code and based upon webview.

BlackBerry 10 game reviews for the unknown, small and indie developers. Little games with big dreams. VeryBerryGames.com | Follow @VeryBerryGames | TwoCasualCoders.com | never casual on quality
Please use plain text.
Developer
yogeshwarp

Great suggestion! it will at least let me work with simulator without rebooting (SSH kill)

I'll also try out the ComponentDefinition approach and page cleanup to see if that gets rid of this issue for me

Please use plain text.
Developer
bbquincar
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Dev C
My Carrier: Rogers

lol that wasnt even a sugestion it was actual my issue which i assume your having on the dev i see the same issue on the sim lol

BlackBerry 10 game reviews for the unknown, small and indie developers. Little games with big dreams. VeryBerryGames.com | Follow @VeryBerryGames | TwoCasualCoders.com | never casual on quality
Please use plain text.