Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
bbquincar
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Dev C

Re: Beta 4 - WebView app freeze post exit

yhea i share the dev B with my brother my app is already in the app store. Looking to start two more one being another webview based app with ads. kinda need the sim to work until i get back the dev.

BlackBerry 10 game reviews for the unknown, small and indie developers. Little games with big dreams. VeryBerryGames.com | Follow @VeryBerryGames | TwoCasualCoders.com | never casual on quality
Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
lew
My Device: Dev Alpha

has anyone posted a bug in the issuetracker for this yet? If so, please make it public so that we can upvote it and make sure proper channel are aware of this issue!

I did a very simple app that reproduces the issue (not 100% but >50%):

import bb.cascades 1.0

Page {
    WebView {
        id: webView
        url: "dummy.html"
    }
}

as you can see, it's the most basic app with only a webview :smileysad:

if no one created an issue yet, i will do so on Monday!

thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Well, I've wasted my time, it seems, for two reasons.

For one thing, although the app works perfectly well, and I knew it would work only when installed with a debug token (since it has to be an unsigned app), I didn't take into account the fact that others would have to edit the MANIFEST.MF to replace my author and author id with their own in order to sideload on their own devices.

That's not particularly difficult actually, but given that the audience for this was mainly people who aren't very familiar with SSH and would find the "pidin + slay" option difficult, making them edit a .bar file like that may be asking too much.

The other reason is, as it's now been pointed out to me, that Momentics can deal with these app crashes perfectly well.

In Momentics, go to the QNX System Information Perspective. Make sure you're connected to your target device or simulator, and look at the System Summary tab.  You should see your "stuck" process listed there. 

Right-click on it and select "Deliver Signal...".  The default is SIGTERM, and that's the one we want. Click OK and a moment later your app should have been "slayed" and the icon will return to the normal state, letting you re-launch the app.

For anyone who would still like to install it, it's a very nice app. :-)  You can find it at http://blackberry-py.microcode.ca/zombie-slayer.html and if you make the appropriate MANIFEST.MF changes mentioned above (replacing Package-Author and Package-Author-Id fields with your own) it should install and provide a slightly nicer user experience for dealing with this than if you use Momentics.  Also much faster to launch than Momentics.

At this point, however, I don't intend to make a build for the simulator unless enough people ask for it.

Screenshots, to finish this up:

sshot_1.png   sshot_2.png

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
bbquincar
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Dev C

Thanks for the help guys. This should fix it. Fingers crossed illncheck today

BlackBerry 10 game reviews for the unknown, small and indie developers. Little games with big dreams. VeryBerryGames.com | Follow @VeryBerryGames | TwoCasualCoders.com | never casual on quality
Please use plain text.
Developer
bcs925
My Device: PlayBook, DA B, DA C, LE Z10 #102, Q10, Z30

[ Edited ]

Peter trying to do what you described above, but where is the System Summary tab?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. I had it closed, so I had to reset my System Info Perspective.

---
Check out my BB10 Cascades Coding site: BBcascades.com & Cascades Blog: bbcascadescode.tumblr.com

My Built for BlackBerry app: The Dive Plan
Please use plain text.
Developer
dbigham
My Device: Z10, PlayBook

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

This isn't limited to WebViews only. I've seen it happen to the browser app too after doing some funky stuff with WebGL...

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Contributor
schumi1331
My Device: Red Z10 & PlayBook

this issue happens here, too, since Beta 4 SDK and Simulator. Not sure as it happened before, as I started using WebView right now.

I have a WebView without content at beginning and just after a user input, it starts to load the content. If I do not press the search button, everything works fine, when closing, but if it loads sth from the web, I am not able to close the app properly...

thanks for the tip for hard exit, maybe there should be a task manager as a BB10 app, with that you can close processes (like KillMe for Symbian)...

as looking to the All Aboard Port-A-Thon, would it be the best way to simply submit the app as it is now? Or did you found a work around for this issue?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

schumi1331 wrote: 

as looking to the All Aboard Port-A-Thon, would it be the best way to simply submit the app as it is now? Or did you found a work around for this issue?

Might be worth just waiting another day for the "gold" release (new SDK and firmware) and compare the behaviour then. Beta 4 had such a significant impact on so many things, it would be surprising if some of the worst changes were not fixed (or, at least, changed yet again) by the Gold release...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
schumi1331
My Device: Red Z10 & PlayBook

Might be worth just waiting another day for the "gold" release (new SDK and firmware) and compare the behaviour then. Beta 4 had such a significant impact on so many things, it would be surprising if some of the worst changes were not fixed (or, at least, changed yet again) by the Gold release...

haha, maybe that's also a good idea :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.