Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: BlackBerry 10 Background App

I agree, such features present UX challenges. Android does a fair job of this, though the info is burried deep in the menus. Nothing the TAT guys wouldn't be able to figure out though. Plus, with QNX the scheduling, throttling, monitoring and managing of background tasks should be a lot easier than with other system. IMHO it's a required feature for a modern platform.

Anyhow, after the BB10 Jam sessions I hoped that there had been a little more progress. Still, we'll get there eventually :smileywink:

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
dineshaggarwal
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: AirTel

hi blackberrians, reading all the discussion i am confused is there possible to run application in background without user interface and no one can see application in application switcher. If anyone having any suggestion most welcome.
thanks all
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

See my response to your same question in another thread: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/Background-Application-in-playbook/m-p/173...

(In short, it is not possible yet, and there's still no news about it.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
demotics2002
My Device: Storm 2 - 9550
My Carrier: Starhub

Any update on this? I have 2 apps from old OS that I didn't bother porting to BB 10 because they require background process. I tried searching now to see whether there's an improvement but I didn't find answers yet.

If background service is not available yet is there any workaround at the moment? My app simple needs pushing notifications to the hub but a background process must be running to read data from a store (I have not explored BB10 SDK yet but consider it a datastore/database) and check if some data has to change state and notify the user.

No push service is actually necessary in my app as the data is persisted in the device, not in the server. So I suppose this kind of functionality requires a simple background process of checking datastore and notify the user.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

There's no news, and I think you should not count on hearing any more about services until after launch (i.e. Jan 30) and probably not immediately after that either.

If this "datastore" is off-device, then using Push would be the appropriate way to handle it, I would think. If it's on-device, then what's going to be updating this data if not your own app?

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
demotics2002
My Device: Storm 2 - 9550
My Carrier: Starhub

It is something similar to a "To Do List" where a user can create a task and have a deadline for it. The application must run in the background to check if any in the list is due for action and will notify the user.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Okay, so it sounds like you're really just looking for a sort of scheduling service, which lets you pick the next item that will become due, and request that a notification be issued to the user at that time, with it linked back to your app. It's not that the state of the datastore itself is changing, but merely that time is passing and that makes an item become "due".

Sounds like something the calendar service ought to be able to do, though I haven't looked into it at all. It's certainly not something that inherently needs your app to be running at all times just to check, though we may have no way to implement that fully right now.

Please use plain text.