Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
dBladez
My Device: Simulator
My Carrier: None

BlackBerry 10: Texture Compression

Received an email from blackberry with

If you have already built a game on a Dev Alpha A device and optimized texture data on that device, then you will need to repackage your game following the instructions described in this blog. If you do not repackage your game, it will not function on most BlackBerry Z10 devices sold today.

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/02/texture-compression-and-gpus/

I use the Shiva Engine and export as BlackBerry.  During the portathon I was able to just upload for Playbook, Alpha and BB10, however with a bug in one of my games code, the game was rejected and I need to upload a new version, however I am now presented with two options.

Imagination GPU and/or Qualcomm GPU

My other games were accepted when there was only one option, so I assume it must work for both.

As its my last chance to have my app approved, I am un-sure what to select as I don't do any special texture compression myself,  I just Export, Build, Author and Upload.

Does this mean If I select both it won't work on a Qualcomm GPU and my game will be rejected?

As I don't have two separate phone devices to test on either GPU, I have no way of testing.

Any help from the BlackBerry team is much appreciated.

If it helps the team investigate to know if it would work, one of my other titles approved during the portathon is:

Hostile Tower Offense

Thanks,

-dBladez

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BlackBerry 10: Texture Compression

If you haven't used texture compression, you doesn't have to worry.  If you doesn't know if the Shiva Engine you are using compresses textures, you should find out.  If textures are compressed, then whether you need two BAR files will depend on what kind of texture compression  is using.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.