Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
graysont
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: na

BlackBerry Bridge

Does anyone know of any way to either access or send data over BlackBerry Bridge to the MDS service? I have already tried binding sockets to the bb0 adapter, but that adapter does not have an IP address so the binding fails. Am I missing something or is this just not possible with the current NDK.

Thank-you.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BlackBerry Bridge

This is not currently supported.  You can see the automatic transport selection that is used here:

Transport Route Selection used by BlackBerry Tablet OS Applications

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Contributor
graysont

Mark,

Thank-you for the information. So my understanding is that if we want to open a connection that goes over the Bridge to an internal network via MDS we would need to have at least WiFi and tethering disabled. Is there any way to specify the route we want instead of having it automatically choose for us? As well, are socket type connections supported over BlackBerry Bridge. I know you can open sockets with the Java SDK for other BlackBerry devices and force it to go to the MDS service so long as you set deviceside=false. Is there any way to do the same in the PlayBook NDK?    

Lastly, from what I understand, connections over the BlackBerry Bridge are only avalable to "Work" applications and not "Personal" applications which would be the majority of applications in App World. How does one go about ensuring that the application is designated as both a "Work" and a "Personal" application similar to say Word To Go so that the network over the Bridge is available?

Also, if any of my above assumptions are wrong please correct me. My ultimate goal would be to open a network connection through the MDS service allow access to intranet sites/services via the BlackBerry Enterprise Server where the protocol is not HTTP as those all seem to work well, just not non HTTP/HTTPS connections.

Thank-you,

Todd.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

BlackBerry Bridge supports both socket and HTTP connections.

BlackBerry Tablet OS Applications are not able to make use of the BES/MDS connection of a BlackBerry Smartphone connected over BlackBerry Bridge.

BlackBerry Mobile Fusion will allow for secure connections into the Enterprise (similar concept to an MDS connection on a BlackBerry Smartphone).

The work versus personal concept you refer to is called BlackBerry Balance.  Applications in the personal perimeter are able to make use of the various transports outlined in the article of my previous message.  BlackBerry Mobile Fusion Administrators have control over the priority and route(s) available to applications in the corporate perimeter.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Contributor
graysont

Mark,

Thank-you for your response, but I think I am more confused now.

You mentioned that Blackberry Bridge supports both socket and HTTP connections, but does not allow BlackBerry Tablet OS Applications to use the BES/MDS connection of the Smartphone connected over BlackBerry Bridge.

Is there another way to make a socket connection to the Enterprise Network to a socket based service over the BlackBerry Bridge?

I basically want to do the same as the Bridge Browser that can access intranet sites in the network  that is home to the BES/MDS server only over sockets instead of HTTP which seems to work fine with the Bridge Browser.

Is there a mechanism that we can use now that will provide this functionality or do we have to wait until BlackBerry Mobile Fusion is released?

Thank-you,

Todd

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

This doesn't exist today.  You'll need to wait for BlackBerry Mobile Fusion for this.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Contributor
graysont

Ok, I have had a chance to set up a test Mobile Fusion server and based on the information provided socket connections should work through the Mobile Fusion connection as per:

Enterprise App World

• BlackBerry Mobile Fusion over Wi-Fi
  • BlackBerry Enterprise Server over BlackBerry Bridge*

* - Requires the same account configured in BlackBerry Mobile Fusion on a BlackBerry Tablet and BlackBerry Enterprise Server on a BlackBerry Smartphone.

I have added the app as a Work application and still socket based connections look to be blocked. Is there something that needs to be done on the app side to allow socket based connections to the Enterprise Network? 

OR 

Is there a configuration setting on the Mobile Fusion server thta can be changed to allow sockect based connections from a PlayBook app given that it is designated a Work app (ie deployed through Mobile Fusion)?

Note: I have tried a couple of apps and only those thta use HTTP or HTTPS can gain access to the Enterprise Network. Apps that use TCP sockets fail on the connection.

Thank-you,

Todd 

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

The current version BlackBerry Mobile Fusion only supports HTTP and HTTPS connections.  Socket connections are not currently supported.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Contributor
graysont

Is there a way to do this via Blackberry Bridge in conjunction with Mobile Fusion?

As well do we know when it will be supported? Based on your previous post in this thread you did say that it will be supported in Mobile Fusion. Do we have an ETA on that support or do we just wait and see?

Lastly, can you confirm that this support will be coming to Mobile Fusion. This would really help in that I have had a number of people ask for this funtionality and many expect the app to do it, so at least I could point them in the right direction and maybe offer a timeline.

Thank-you,

Todd

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

Apologies for the confusion early.  Right now BlackBerry Mobile Fusion allows HTTP and HTTPS connections, but not socket connections.

We have not announced when or if that will be supported.  Keep an eye on our website for news about new releases.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.