Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
graysont
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: na

BlackBerry Enterprise Server 10 and TCP Sockect Connections

Is there any way or does someone know how to connect using TCP sockets through the Mobile Device Service on a BES 10 server so long as the application is published in the Enterprise Work Space? I was prevoiously told from BlackBerry that this is not possible, but the BlackBerry Work Folders app opens Windows Network Shares the the MDS service and that should require a TCP socket connetcion? Any reason why it doesn't work for 3rd party apps?

Maybe someone from BlackBerry could provide some insiight on how to connect through the MDS service to the Internal Enterprise network.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
graysont

Re: BlackBerry Enterprise Server 10 and TCP Sockect Connections

Ok, I was able to test a bit further and it looks like only loop back adapters are able to be seen when  in Work mode. Is there maybe something that need to be set in the bar descriptor file to allow access to the other network adapters?

Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

Not that I can help you, sorry... but it is extremely interesting topic. Can you elaborate please - what are you trying to achieve and what happens with communication Z10 <-> outside world when you are in Work mode. Any documentation about BES10 structure? In BES5 all communication (web-browsing, non-corporate e-mai, etc) from your devices was going through BES server this device is registered at, what about BES10???

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
graysont

@BGmot There isn't much documentation, if any, about how to develop apps that can utilize the Mobile Device Service to access services that are behind a firewall but available to the BES 10 server.

What I am trying to achieve is very similar to what the BlackBerry Work drives app does now, I just have no clue how they did that. So... I want a connection that goes through the BES 10 MDS service to the internal network to connect to services inside the network in a secure way. Here is a quick diagram:

Z10 <--> MDS (This circumvents the corporate firewall so internal network access should be avialbale <--> Internal TCP service

This should be allowed in a policy setting on the BES 10 server so that admins can deterine what apps or if apps can even access the internal network.

What I currently get when I enumerate the avialable network interfaces is just the local loop back devices:

Interface: lo0    Address: 127.0.0.1
Interface: lo2    Address: 127.0.0.3

When the application is put in the Personal Space I something like th following:

Interface: lo0    Address: 127.0.0.1
Interface: tiw_sta0    Address: 192.168.1.107
Interface: msm0    Address: 10.58.151.63

So, I am wondering why th eBlackBerry developed application can do this and why everyone else's can't? I suspect there is something that need to be set in the bar device descriptor file or maybe we need a special signing to to it, but it should technically be possible as it was possible with BES 5.0 and below and OS 7 and below on the older BlackBerry devices using the java SDK.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot

I would assume that secure connection Z10 - MDS is used as a tunnel to access local network resources, so it would be MDS to tell your device whether to expose interface or no, some policy issue?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
graysont

None that I can find. I control the BES 10 Server and have been looking for any setting that might affect this and have found nothing yet that I have not tested by opening it up. There is nothing directly related to sockets in the configuration though, unlike the old BES servers.
Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot

Sorry for bumping the old thread but have you found a solution?

I have a request from my app's user to get access to a resouces on local (office) network when using my app in Work mode.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot

Interesting: https://partners.blackberry.com/web/guest/blackberry-10-faq

Q: How do I configure my application to gain access to behind the firewall application and web servers?

A: If the BlackBerry 10 smartphone is activated on a BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 Server then you won't have to be concerned with this. The BlackBerry 10 smartphone will automatically inherit a VPN like connection through the firewall, thanks to the Mobile Data Service component, without all of the complexity of configuring a VPN profile.

Please use plain text.