Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
Accepted Solution

Blackberry App that activates other apps on the device according to time and/or location events

Like to create an App ABC that does the following - are the points below possible for the Blackberry OS 6 and 7?  Yes/No :-)  - and if yes links to code examples.

(0) always is active (though in the background, possible?), while in background mode it will do as described in points (2), (3), (4), and (5) below.

(1) sees the other apps on the phone (which type of apps are possible?)?   The following points (2) and (3) are mostly possible if (1) is possible.

(2) can activate the apps/activities seen in (1)? . (according to user configuration in app ABC)

Can the apps be started with parameter input?

(3) sends messages to background apps on the phone (from app ABC, according to the user configuration in app ABC), that are running in the background.  (3a) Does the Blackberry Sandbox model allow Apps to share (file) data?

(4) can you do (2) and (3) above according to say a time event

(5) tracks the users location (if the user allows) and does (2) and (3) if the user reaches or crosses a specific location.

Thanks,

Paul

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

Re: Blackberry App that activates other apps on the device according to time and/or location events

[ Edited ]

You cannot (yet) run background apps, though there has been much demand for such a feature and many valid use cases provided. I can't imagine it's not in the pipeline.

You cannot (yet) start other apps or communicate with them, though that has been announced for BB10 and is called "invokation framework". Details are still sketchy at best.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: Blackberry App that activates other apps on the device according to time and/or location events

What events would the background app listen too?
time based events?
location based events?
there are many reasons to have background programs listening to the above two sort of events is just two of many. The devil is in the details of Blackberry own notion of "sandboxing". I am not suggesting anything here, but knowing what they are allowed to do "in the background" is of essense. Maybe someone from "pipeline" could be inclusive concerning the debate of pluses and minuses of the different ways of doing it.