Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
itdirectorate
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Binus
Accepted Solution

Blackberry NFC

Hi there,

I have a question, what types of NFC that are supported by Blackberry? (for example, Mifare Classic?)

Let us discuss about NFC on Blackberry for further more.

Thanks for help :catwink:

Regards.

Please use plain text.
Developer
sorout2009
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: TATA DOCOMO

Re: Blackberry NFC

Hey, you can read detailed info about NFC in Blackberry cascades from the below link

https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/documentation/device_comm/nfc/

We can also invoke the NFC framwork. For detailed information read from the below link

https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/documentation/device_platform/invocation/nfc.html

Dharmender Singh
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
mwoolley
My Carrier: Vodafone

We've published lots of lovely content about NFC for BlackBerry developers here:

NFC - Article and Code Index - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Regarding your question though; we support all 3 modes of operation:

1. Reader/Write i.e. tag reading and writing

2. Peer to Peer (P2P)

3. Card emulation

We also support something cool called virtual target emulation.

I think you're asking specifically about tags though.

We support tags which comply with the NFC Forum standards so you should also check that a tag is designated a standard MFC Forum Type 1, 2, 3 or 4 tag before purchasing.

Your specific example, the Mifare Classic (also known as the Mifare 1K) is not compliant with NFC Forum standards and so we do not support it.

Hope this answers your question

Martin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @mdwrim
Please use plain text.
New Developer
itdirectorate

Thank you sorout2009 and Martin,

Is there a way to read Mifare 1K tag card with Blackberry device?

When i request a code signing keys from Blackberry there are options bellow,

MiFare Classic
MiFare Plus
MiFare DESFire
Felica
Calypso
iClass
ISO 15693
ISO 18092
ISO 14443 A/B
Other: (please provide any info)
What does it mean?
Thanks again.
Please use plain text.
mwoolley

Hi,

Mifare Classic is definitely not supported and cannot be read *in full*. You can access the UUID but that's about all. You cannot rdea NDEF data or exchange commands/responses.

I'm not sure why Mifare Classic is on that form. I'll check.

Martin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Brry
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Koodo

itdirectorate wrote:

Hi there,

I have a question, what types of NFC that are supported by Blackberry? (for example, Mifare Classic?)

Let us discuss about NFC on Blackberry for further more.

I am testing NTAG203.  These are detected by the Q10 Smart Tags app which says the tag is empty, select "write to tag" from the menu.  This is not found in the menu which only has Erase or Lock for modifying the tag.

The Q10 must be placed exactly on top of the tag so I would call it fussy usability rather than casual NFC. A YouTube video with an older BlackBerry confirms that finding.

Testing continues..

Please use plain text.
mwoolley

[ Edited ]

I just tested one of these tags and it worked fine for me. I didn't need to place the device "directly on top of the tag" and was able to hover a centimetre away from it from various angles and various parts of the device (i.e. top, bottom etc). My impression was that tag reading actually performed very well with this tag so I'm curious that you are not having the same experience. The device I tested with was running a 10.1 build of the OS by the way.

The reference to the non-existent "Write..." menu item in Smart Tags in a the message is a known issue and will be rectified. You should of course use the Create Tag function in Smart Tags.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
itdirectorate

[ Edited ]

Hi Martin,

are you have already check that form?

I have test my BB Bold 9790 and BB Z10 tap each other with NFC turned on but there is no response. What happened with this?

Thanks,

Victor

Please use plain text.
mwoolley

[ Edited ]

Hi

I checked the form and responded here. Mifare Classic, which was the question about the form, is not supported as I said.

What are you trying to do by tapping the two devices? Nothing will happen unless you are running an application that has some kind of NFC P2P action built into it. The Picture app, with a selected photo showing, should initiate a bluetooth connection handover and then transfer the photo to the other device for example.

Your 9790 must be running 7.1 for this to work by the way. NFC P2P is not supported in BBOS 7.0.

Regards

Martin

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Brry
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Koodo

[ Edited ]

mwoolley wrote:

>>I just tested one of these tags and it worked fine for me. I didn't need to place the device "directly on top of the >>tag" and was able to hover a centimetre away from it from various angles and various parts of the device....

The NTAG203 is 25mm square from NFCGUYZ.  My Q10 runs 10.1.0.273.  The Q10 user guide says little about passive tags.  For NFC file transfer it says:-

"Align the back of your BlackBerry device with an NFC-enabled device" .

I am ok with the need for aligning devices.  The problem is still that I can't write to the available NFC tag.

.. please see next post for new finding

Please use plain text.