Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
Brry
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Koodo

Re: Blackberry NFC

[ Edited ]

Brry wrote:

mwoolley wrote:

>>I just tested one of these tags and it worked fine for me. I didn't need to place the device "directly on top of the >>tag" and was able to hover a centimetre away from it from various angles and various parts of the device....

The NTAG203 is 25mm square from NFCGUYZ.  My Q10 runs 10.1.0.273.  The Q10 user guide says little about passive tags.  For NFC file transfer it says:-

"Align the back of your BlackBerry device with an NFC-enabled device" .

I am ok with the need for aligning devices.  The problem is still that I can't write to the available NFC tag.

Further to the above,  mwooley is right, the BB does not need to touch the tag. However, I find that the hover distance is so small that we should not worry about it touching.  The sensitive spot is to the left and slightly above the BB logo on the back.  When approaching the tag, just align one edge with Q10 volume buttons to find the sweet spot.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
mwoolley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

My own findings are that the Q10 is much less sensitive to the exact position than you report. It could be that the tags I'm testing with are not exactly the same as yours despite identifying themselves as NTAG203.

You should note that tags have varying performance characteristics too. There are even tags on the market that fail the standard ISO tests. So it's not all about the device you're reading the tag with.

What is your problem with writing to the tag? I just wrote to mine with no issue. 

Photo of my tag attached fyi.

NTAG203.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @mdwrim
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Brry

>>What is your problem with writing to the tag? I just wrote to mine with no issue.

The Smart Tags app does not present a choice for programming to the tag. I see only Erase and Lock.

FYI:  here is a photo of the NTAG203.  it appears to have a larger antenna structure than yours.

Well, I could not upload the image. Never mind, the point is more about how to use the Smart Tags app.

Please use plain text.
mwoolley

[ Edited ]

To write a tag, first create the tag content using the Create function which is available both on the main screen as an action item and from the menu. Choose the type of tag, specify it's attributes and save it. Then you'll see it on your Smart Tags workspace.... long press the tag icon and select the "..." "more items" action from the menu that slides in from the right. Now select Write to NFC Tag and follow the instructions. 

create_tag-vert.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Brry

HI mwoolley, nice post.  I followed your procedure but saw no "write" option on the sliding menu. You have a pencil icon with background smart tag logo. My sliding menu has just a pencil which responds with edit.

I suppose the App is context-sensitive and there is some condition which inhibits the menu selections.  I tried the Erase Tab selection and that was successful so I don't think it is a hardware problem. Perhaps I should try tags from a  different source.

Please use plain text.
mwoolley

What BB10 OS version are you running? As far as I recall, this has always been the procedure for writing tags but I wonder if I'm running a later OS version which has something a little different. Let me know your version and I'll take a look.

Cheers

Martin

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Brry

>>mwoolley wrote:

>>What BB10 OS version are you running? As far as I recall, this has always been the procedure for writing tags >>but I wonder if I'm running a later OS version which has something a little different. Let me know your version >>and I'll take a look.

Cheers

Martin

10.1.0.273 on the Q10. Can the Tags app be updated separately from the OS? How do you find the version number of the  app?

Please use plain text.
mwoolley

Hi

the UI for Smart Tags is indeed changing a little. The problem is that at 10.1, as you have found, the Write Tags function can be hard to find. It is there but locating it can be a little tricky! This is a known issue and we're changing this so that "Write to NFC Tag" has a more prominent position in the slide out action menu which appears when you long press your tag item.

On 10.1, you have to select the "..." more items action to see it. I've updated my sequence of screen shots above, which should now show you the correct sequence.

Happy Tag Writing!

Martin

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Brry

Re: Blackberry NFC [Solution]

[ Edited ]

mwoolley wrote:

Hi

the UI for Smart Tags is indeed changing a little. The problem is that at 10.1, as you have found, the Write Tags function can be hard to find. It is there but locating it can be a little tricky! This is a known issue and we're changing this so that "Write to NFC Tag" has a more prominent position in the slide out action menu which appears when you long press your tag item.

On 10.1, you have to select the "..." more items action to see it. I've updated my sequence of screen shots above, which should now show you the correct sequence.

Happy Tag Writing!

Martin

RE: Write to NFC tag

Ok, your tweak to the procedure works.  Thank you for the solution.

Note that after you select Write, it instructs you to align the phone to the tag again. I was initially puzzled since it was already aligned, but got it to work on the next try.

Please use plain text.
mwoolley

Re: Blackberry NFC [Solution]

Could you click Accept as Solution against the procedure above please?

Please use plain text.