Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: BB 9105

Blakberry 10 - Background application and autostart at boot

Hi,

I have an BB5/6/7 application which runs as background application and auto starts at boot up. It was easy to do it on older BB versions liike 5/6/7. However, I couldnt find anyway to run application in background and start it at boot up.

Can you please let me know:

- Does BB10 supports application running in the background, if yes how?

- Can I auto-start application at device boot up?

Thanks

Brsengar

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Blakberry 10 - Background application and autostart at boot

For now, the answers are "no", and "no".

There should be some support in future, but last I heard they're still identifying the use cases and discussing how best to do this. Most apps that have used background services in the past are better served by using something like the new Invocation Framework with the Push Service or certain other ones.

It might be useful if you described why your app needs to stay running all the time, in case there are existing alternative approaches that could fill the same need.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Thanks for your reply Peter. I have two applications, one is running in the background and starts at boot time. This application starts the other application which monitor user activities during working hours. These are applications not intended to be used by normal user rather than installed on a companies official phone (A normal user would not want anyone to monitor him/her but since this is a corporate specific application, it can). I hope this clarifies requirement
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

I wonder what sorts of monitoring you are talking about doing. The security in BB10 is rather high, probably even compared to BBOS. You could not (yet) write an app that can even keep track of which other apps are launched and used, for example. About the most you could do is to track GPS location, whether the device is in standby or not, and the IP address.

For now, though, what you're describing is absolutely impossible, since the user on BB10 would certainly see your app running, and could easily exit it at any time, and your app could not prevent that.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Seems like you are right. My applications work quite well on BB 5/6/7 versions. Anyways, lets see if RIM can provide some API in future. We are planning to have a tie-up with RIM so that in case they have some restricted API, they can provide us. I can understand how these API can be misused to write unwanted applications. Thanks anyways