Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
svanderw

BlueTooth SPP connection/data

Hi

I'm currently looking to get/send data over a serial link using SPP as a raw serial connection.

Is this possible at all?

I do currently have my Playbook paired to the device, but the Playbook is not reporting any services being available.

I just want to use this BlueTooth connection as a bidirectional serial connection if that is at all possible :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Carrier: none

Re: BlueTooth SPP connection/data

I don't think this is possible yet. There's a small chance the required Bluetooth profile will be supported in 2.0. If not, I'd expect to see it in one of the next few minor updates after February.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Carrier: Vodafone

Here is the feature request in JIRA:

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/TABLET-272

Unfortunately it is "Closed for future consideration". Vote for it, let's hope RIM reconsiders!

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RobBrownNZ

Hi,

I've just bought a Playbook and have half a plan to port my company's app from iOS to it. However, it requires Bluetooth and without support in the NDK, it's out of the question. I'm almost completely new to the world of Blackberry, so I'd really appreciate some answers to a couple of questions:

1) from previous experience, is it likely that Blackberry will ever add Bluetooth to the NDK?

2) is the JIRA issue referenced above typical? As in, the suggestion is closed with no meaningful interaction on the part of Blackberry, in fact no comment at all. It seems like abysmal developer relations to me.

Personally I think Bluetooth is really important, especially in healthcare field where the Bluetooth folks are being really progressive in accommodating and standardising medical applications. It's a pity the Playbook doesn't support BT4.0 but there's still a lot that can be done with 2.1 and it seems very odd that Blackberry wouldn't want to be a part of it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
actjak
My Carrier: bouyig

A bluetooth API is available in the beta 2 CASCAD
there is no documentation but there is a header file

\ target_10_0_6_384 \ qnx6 \ usr \ include \ btapi

with a class btspp.h
with Bluetooth Serial Port (spp) functionality

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RobBrownNZ

Thanks very much for the info!

With the BB10 delay there's no way that my employer will be interested in putting any effort into Blackberry at the moment, but I'll have a look at it out of interest.

Please use plain text.