Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Trusted Contributor
Mitch99
My Device: BB10 Z10
Accepted Solution

BlueTooth Weight Scale and GATT profiles

Hello,

I'm using a BlueTooth GATT example to enable connection with Wahoo Scale. The scale is found by the utility (after it is paired and saved in the BlueTooth settings interface). It lists several standard services, and one (0x1901) which is not listed in any of the GATT documentation on the BlueTooth site.

Also, under this service, there are three characteristics listed, one of which is 0x2A1C, TEMPERATURE_MEASUREMENT...

Now, since there is no GATT profile for the WEIGHT, is Wahoo using temperature GATT profile to pass the weight measurement through?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
robbieDubya
My Device: Q10

Re: BlueTooth Weight Scale and GATT profiles

Hi,

Pure speculation: 

They could be. However - temperature might be an important component when calulating weight from their sensor.

You'll probably need a datasheet or at least confirmation from Wahoo to know for sure.

Thank you.

--
Rob is no longer associated with BlackBerry.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Mitch99

Thanks...Hmmm... body temperature? Or environment temperature? Because there is definitely no body temperature sensor on the scale.

However, my question was more geared towards an apparent omission of this service in the GATT profile, and how to read it when it is missing or not specified in the Services... I guess you pointed me in the right direction: Ask Wahoo :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
robbieDubya
My Device: Q10

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I was thinking temperature of the unit / ambient.

If they're using a flex sensor - it may have different behaviour curves at different ambient temperatures. -5C in a Canadian garage, +31 in a sauna...

Good luck with Wahoo!

--
Rob is no longer associated with BlackBerry.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Mitch99

Thanks! I've reached out to them for more info on the scale. They do offer API but it is Apple only (With Android in Beta). Hopefully with GATT, I might get my Z10 to work with it without all the API song and dance :smileyhappy: I found that Z10 has an exceptionally robust BT hardware... I tested 4 iPhones in the office, and they are unable to find any BT devices nearby, while my Z10 finds 10 or so (be it computers, BT devices or other BBerries)

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Mitch99

I heard back from Wahoo. Turns out the weight service exists but it's not official. GATT example app sniffed it out correctly but couldn't name it :smileyhappy:

(Unofficial)

0x1901 is the weight service 
0x2B01 is the live weight readings

Considering this, you're probably right re: temperature service, it may have a sensor and it broadcasts it.
Please use plain text.