Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

myang
My Device: Bluetooth

Re: Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) compatibility between Z10 and MetaWatch

Hi,

Thank you for the comments.

The advertising data flags settings seem to be correct.

According to the the book <Bluetooth Low Energy: The Developer's Handbook> (page 273) written by Robin Heydon (the co-chair of the BLE spec group):

"The BR/EDR Not Supported flag (Bit2) bit is used to notify a peer device before making a connection that it cannot make a connection by using Bluetooth classic; instead, it must use Bluetooth low energy. This is important because a dual mode device cannot make a connection to another dual-mode device by using Bluetooth low energy. Therefore, a dual-mode device must check this bit to determine how it should initiate a connection to the device".

So the Bit2 actually tells the other dual mode device (BlackBerry phone) that the watch only accept BLE connection. So our setting is correct. Otherwise if Bit2 is set to "0",  it means the watch is dual mode and supports both BR and BLE connection, BlackBerry would always initiate a BR connection instead of BLE connection.

The Bit3/4 means:

"The Simultaneous LE and BR/EDR to Same Device Capable flag bits are used to determine if the peer device can initiate a connection over Bluetooth low energy if a Bluetooth classic connection already exists to that device."

So these bits don't matter here as setting up simultaneous BLE and BR connections is not the case here.

Br,
Mu

Retired
mwoolley
My Device: Z10

Thanks, so unless I've misunderstood, the issue is perhaps about the semantics/intention of the phrase "not supported" regarding Bluetooth Classic. MetaWatch does support it but in this use case it's not available for connection and BLE should be used. Is that a reasonable summary?

Leave it with me and I'll discuss with our development team further.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @mdwrim
Retired
mwoolley

[ Edited ]

Hi

the original tests performed with MetaWatch were from last year and with MetaWatch firmware version 1.5.1. I just upgraded to the latest firmware, version 1.5.3 and now get the correct and expected results. I used a sniffer to capture advertising packets and the content captured at 1.5.1 is different to 1.5.3. 1.5.1 used the FLAGS field incorrectly with reference to the Bluetooth Core Specification and this caused the anomoly whereby BlackBerry 10 listed the device twice in its Bluetooth Settings page (once for a BR/EDR interface and once for a BLE interface). Now, with the 1.5.3 firmware on the MetaWatch, advertising packet FLAGS are correct and the device appears only once, as a BR/EDR device. Here are the packet details from the two firmware versions fyi:

From V1.5.1:

metawatch_advertising_packet_1_5_1_fw.png

From V1.5.3

metawatch_advertising_packet_1_5_3_fw.png

Comparing advertising packets from MetaWatch FW 1.5.1 vs 1.5.3:
V1.5.1
    0E = binary 00001110 : 
         (0) LE Limited Discoverable Mode FALSE
         (1) LE General Discoverable Mode TRUE
	 (2) BR/EDR Not Supported (i.e. bit 37 of LMP Extended Feature bits Page 0) TRUE
    	 (3) Simultaneous LE and BR/EDR to Same Device Capable (Controller) (i.e. bit 49 of LMP Extended Feature bits Page 0) TRUE
         (4) Simultaneous LE and BR/EDR to Same Device Capable (Host) (i.e. bit 66 of LMP Extended Feature bits Page 0) FALSE
V1.5.3
    1A = binary 00011010 : 
         (0) LE Limited Discoverable Mode FALSE
         (1) LE General Discoverable Mode TRUE
	 (2) BR/EDR Not Supported (i.e. bit 37 of LMP Extended Feature bits Page 0) FALSE
    	 (3) Simultaneous LE and BR/EDR to Same Device Capable (Controller) (i.e. bit 49 of LMP Extended Feature bits Page 0) TRUE
         (4) Simultaneous LE and BR/EDR to Same Device Capable (Host) (i.e. bit 66 of LMP Extended Feature bits Page 0) TRUE

Critically, note that at V1.5.1 we had:

(2) BR/EDR Not Supported (i.e. bit 37 of LMP Extended Feature bits Page 0) TRUE

whereas as V1.5.3 we now have:

(2) BR/EDR Not Supported (i.e. bit 37 of LMP Extended Feature bits Page 0) FALSE

So it seems that with the latest MetaWatch firmware, BlackBerry 10 and MetaWatch play nicely and I hope the above explains why this was not the case with older firmware.

Regards

Martin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Retired
mwoolley

I cannot find a good description of how to integrate *any* smartphone with MetaWatch using BLE in any of the MetaWatch documentation. If anyone has this information, please post.

I have the following statement from an email I exchanged with MetaWatch support some months ago and nothing else:

"Since firmware 1.5.1, the watch plays GATT client role. The MWM on the phone needs to implement the GATT server role. The MWM service 128-bit UUID is:

0x44, 0x98, 0xFF, 0xD5, 0x02, 0x4F, 0x39, 0x8E, 0xFB, 0x49, 0x6A, 0xC4, 0x4A, 0x51, 0x3C, 0xE2.

There is one characteristic (as a control point) in the MWM service:

0x83, 0x46, 0xF6, 0xEB, 0x31, 0xC1, 0x85, 0x84, 0x93, 0x44, 0x57, 0x03, 0xFC, 0xB8, 0x23, 0x07.

It's writable and notifiable. MWM shall use it to send messages (as notifications) to the watch. So one Client Configuration Characteristic descriptor is also needed for the watch to register the notifications.”
"