Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
My Device: Z10 STL100-1 DEV edition
My Carrier: Golan Telecom

Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) compatibility between Z10 and MetaWatch

Both MetaWatch and BlackBerry 10 support BLE, but as far as i found out there are problems with stack compatabilities with different devices and apperantly there is problem connecting metawatch and Z10 using GATT services, though i still can use SPP to connect. I tried to contact MetaWatch and didn't get any proper response, till few days ago i got one from Bill Geiser:

"we've made a number of attempts at working with RIM over the years & received little, We won't spend any more time on this" (https://twitter.com/billg/status/381761843816964096)

"it takes two to tango....we're done with RIM. Sorry. Too many other opportunities to chase."(https://twitter.com/billg/status/381762687245365249)

So i'm trying to ask if blackberry can assist me(or any other developer) to resolve the issues :your personal with metawatch team  and the one of connectivity between metawatch and Z10 Smiley Happy

Thank you in advance Smiley Happy

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) compatibility between Z10 and MetaWatch

Hi, i've brought the issue to the attention of the BlackBerry Bluetooth development team. They're going to acquire a MetaWatch and do some testing. Exactly what model do you have btw?

They'll also reach out to MetaWatch and see if we can sort out whatever went wrong with them too.

I'll post again as soon as I have anything to report.

Regards

Martin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @mdwrim
New Developer

As far as i know they are using TI BLE stack. The watch i have is Strata (http://www.metawatch.com/collection/strata) but i think Frame(http://www.metawatch.com/collection/frame) is fully compatible with it.
Thanks for awesome support and quick reply!
Retired

Thanks ZogG. That's useful. No reason why there should be a fundamental incompatibility of any sort that I can think of based on that information, but I'll let our development team do some proper exploration of the issue before I jump to any conclusions.

No thanks necessary from you (though it's nice of course!). Let's work through this and see what *result* we can achieve.

All the best

Martin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Retired

By the way, do you have any information on the GATT profiles and services that the watch supports? I don't see anything on their web site beyond the statement that they support Bluetooth 4.0 to suggest that GATT is supported. We can figure this out once we have a watch in our hands but thought you might already know.

When you say you cannot get it to work with GATT, what do you mean exactly? Are you developing an application to work with it?

Thanks

Martin

New Developer

The PDF with protocol can be found at http://www.metawatch.org/developers/
It doesn't mention the UUID but at their forum and I think at TI forum it was said it's 0x8880 and characteristic to communicate is 0x8882. I'm pretty new to that as well, so if i'm wrong with terminology - sorry in advance.
Retired

Thanks. You're using exactly the right terminology :-)

I don't see any useful information about GATT in the protocol specification unfortunately. Not to worry though. We can find out service UUIDs easily enough. The challenge will come when trying to establish how to use those services. If the UUIDs are 0x8880 and 0x8882 then these are not standard (defined by the Bluetooth SIG) services and therefore only MetaWatch can specify how to use these services.

See http://developer.bluetooth.org/gatt/services/Pages/ServicesHome.aspx for a list of the standard ones so you can see what I mean.

So first off we'll try to verify what the watch is actually exposing over GATT. Then we may need to try and persuade MetaWatch to talk to us. No idea of the history there but hopefully they'll be open to establishing a dialogue so that we can help one of their customers.

All the best

Martin

Retired

Hi

I confess I'm not 100% clear on the problem you've encountered so whilst our developers get equipped and start to look at MetaWatch, let's just make sure I understand:

- I assume you're developing an application. If so what is its status?

- If MetaWatch are using their own services with their own UUIDs you need to connect to those services. See our HeartMonitor application for an example of how to find and connect to a service by UUID: https://github.com/blackberry/Cascades-Community-Samples/tree/master/HeartMonitor

If you have already tried this, can you clarify exactly what is happening and perhaps share some code please?

Also, do you have a Bluetooth developer's kit like the one from Texas Instruments? http://www.ti.com/tool/cc2540dk-mini

Armed with one of these kits you'll be able to verify that what you think are the UUIDs really are those values.

What version of the BlackBerry 10 OS are you developing for? At version 10.0 UUIDs used with the Bluetooth GATT API did not have a prefix of "0x" but later we changed the API so that now this is required. See this conditional code in HeartMonitor:

https://github.com/blackberry/Cascades-Community-Samples/blob/master/HeartMonitor/src/BluetoothHandl...

Regards

Martin

New Developer

I'm on 10.2 and I checked heart monitor example as well as bluethoothgatt app from community samples on github. I do not have development kit. And I do use 0x prefix. I'll show snippets of code when i get home. I only started application and that's why it's a little bit mess of parts of codes I was trying while trying to connect to watch.
I tried scanning for gatt as well as manually subscribe with no result.
Retired

OK, thanks. I'm actually wondering whether MetaWatch supports Bluetooth Low Energy. I looked at their developer support forums and they have a forum called "All things BLE (Alpha)" which to me suggests it's an early stage feature that will not be present in a product out of the box. I've ordered one from Amazon anyway so I'll review as soon as I get it, as will our development team.

I'm beginning to suspect that:

- products don't have BT LE out of the box

- there's alpha firmware available that has it, albeit in an alpha state

Anyway.... one way or another we'll figure this out :-)

All the best

Martin