Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
smcveigh
My Device: developer
My Carrier: other

Re: Camera shutter sound

This discussion is very valuable, and I am interested in seeing where it heads.

But to go back to your original problem of trying to capture something in a performance setting -- how about a "cough" shutter sound :smileyhappy:

Likewise, in nature mode - perhaps a "cricket" sound :smileyhappy:

Problem solving!

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

More interesting ideas, but of course then we'll see the courts (reasonably) interpreting the law as being intended to make the shutter sound distinctively indicative of the fact that a picture is being taken, and "natural" sounds will be disallowed for this. :smileysad:

For now, I'd say the *only* interpretation which matters is whatever the one the App World reviewers will use, and/or whoever in RIM might be the one tasked with deciding whether to pull an app from the store.

... which actually makes "cough" and "crickets" perfectly acceptable sounds to start off with.

Other things left unaddressed by government attempts to control us too closely: the new "burst mode" features... how long can a "burst" last, and does the shutter sound have to be made once per image, or continuously for the duration of the imaging process.

What about video? The HD video is so good at this point that still images from video on the BB10 devices will probably be better than still images from most camera phones when these laws were conceived. No "shutter sound" for video cameras, is there? Or do we have to simulate the sound of old-style film running through the sprockets in the 1960s movie cameras too? ;-)

I could go on....

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sucroid
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None

I'll use "leave rustling" for the nature application.

The concert thing is still a bit annoying.  Noise is noise, whether it's natural or not.

Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sucroid

I believe the law also requires there be a sound at the beginning and resuming and pausing and stopping of a video recording.
Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

sucroid, where did you read or hear that? The text I posted appears to be the complete text of the bill. The PDF form is only two pages long. Are you referring to the South Korean law, or a rumour, your own guess, or something else?

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sucroid

It wasn't that particular bill.  I was googling and I now can't find where I read that.

Anyway, it would be easier if RIM could save us the trouble by forcing a default shutter sound down our throats. At least, it would be their lawyers who have to deal with the courts. :smileyhappy:

Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

They may well want to do that, but it may be technically a bit difficult, depending on the specifics of the API.

Here are a few more thoughts, since the idiocy implicit in this whole concept of a law for this means I just can't stop:

1. White noise... quite "audible" by any technical measure, and probably considered such by any legislator, and yet the nature of the human brain means it may simply not be noticed and, if it is, it may be hard to connect back to the person holding the phone. (This is much like your rustling leaves would sound, for that matter.)

2. Slow ramp up/down in volume, since without a sharp onset many people won't pay it much attention.

3. Screenshots... who's to say when the image is actually taken, or that it's even taken by the app? I know the quality is lower (just under 1MP) but that's quite adequate for most perverts... just turn down the system volume, then take a screenshot with a camera app in preview mode. Now RIM has to go and detect when any camera buffer is being displayed onscreen, or recorded in any fashion, and play the loud standard system shutter noise.

4. Does anyone really think the criminal element wouldn't just jam a screwdriver into their speakers and prevent any sound from coming out? Sheesh...

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sucroid

I was thinking of exactly the same thing - taking a screen shot while the viewfinder is on.

Criminals will not be stupid enough to use a camera that makes noise.  They can easily build / buy a stealth / spy camera, the kind of thing that undercover journalists use.  They are sold everywhere.  A simple google search will confirm this.

Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans
Please use plain text.
smcveigh

Keep your eyes peeled.  I've heard rumblings re: shutter sound policies.  Will update this thread when I have the official decree :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
smcveigh

I've just finished updating API docs with this most excellent new policy on Camera Shutter sounds.

* The Camera library does not automatically play audible shutter sounds
 * when a picture is taken or a video is recorded.  Camera applications
 * must supply their own sound when a photo is captured or a video
 * recording begins and ends. Please note that while you can choose to not have
 * a shutter sound when taking a picture – you are responsible to ensure the app
 * adheres to all local laws of regions in which you wish to distribute the application.
 * For example, it is illegal to mute or modify the shutter sound of a camera
 * application in Japan and Korea. Please check local laws prior to distributing
 * your application.

Please use plain text.