Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Vodafone

Can a headless application have UI?

I want to make an headless application, I should be able to access its UI using some trigger, is it possible?

Sameer Joshi
Blackberry developer.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Can a headless application have UI?

If you read up on the new headless documentation, you'll see that the headless part can't be the first entry point for the app. The first entry point must be a UI, so that answers the question in the title: yes, it can (and must) have a UI.

The second question is thereby answered as well, roughly... it's like any other app with a UI, meaning it can be invoked using the Invocation Framework.

Not sure what you mean by "trigger" in this case though.. that term has only started being used in the docs in relation to the headless entry point, as far as I can see, so I don't think it relates to the UI portion specifically.

Maybe you can clarify what the question really is.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Hi Peter,

I am making an application, which when installed on the device will show UI with some settings, and after exiting that application, it will not show any App icon in the device app icon list.

If i ever want to change the settings, I should be able to do some action by which I can invoke the application settings UI again, and change settings. This is what I meant by trigger. 

Can I have a keyboard key sequence to invoke UI of the application? What all ways are there to invoke application UI?

Sameer Joshi
Blackberry developer.
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

The app will always have an icon.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

Ok,

But is it possible to invoke application using some key sequence?

Sameer Joshi
Blackberry developer.
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

No
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter