If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Foxhound5366
My Device: BlackBerry 9360
My Carrier: MTN

Can't add BB10 Simulator as target in QNX

I have no mobile development experience, and almost no programming experience, so please forgive what is no doubt a stupid question.

I installed the BB10 Gold SDK, which comes with the QNX IDE. All good. Then I realised I needed to add a simulator to view anything, and that installed to a folder on my desktop. After building the GoodCitizen trial project with a simulator profile and clicking on the green Run icon in QNX, I'm prompted to add a target.

'Auto Discover' just returns 'No devices or simulators found'. Maybe I should state at this point that the BB10 SDK folder is also installed to my desktop, so with little hope I dumped the simulator folder into the SDK folder, but that doesn't help. 

Once you've all finished laughing, I'll appreciate help with this stupid problem. If I can't get the simulator to link up, I'm not even out of the gates before my grand programming dreams are dashed. 

Thanks!!!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
taylor-tomt
My Device: Z10, Playbook

Re: Can't add BB10 Simulator as target in QNX

You also have to download the VMware player.

Once you've done that, start VM and add the virtual machine of the simulator. (pretty straight forward from the VMware GUI).

Then run the simulator virtual machine.

Once the simulator is running, you should be able to set it as a target in IDE.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Arlon
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodacom SA

I am having a similar problem. I have installed all the necessary tools (the QNX IDE, the BB10 Simulator as well as VMware), but every time I try to add my simulator as a target, I have a red cross appearing on top (showing that the simulator was not discovered). I, first, tried the "Auto Discover" option, but it didn't work. Then I went on adding the target manually, that one didn't yield the expected result. Please, help.

Thanks,

Arlon T.M.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jalue
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

With the Simulator running in VMware Player, look at the lower left corner and you'll see an IP Address.. Use that to connect to the Simulator while it's running.

Be sure that the Simulator has fully loaded - you can see the icons and stuff with the clock...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Arlon
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodacom SA

Thanks Jalue for your reply. I already added the IP address as you described, but the result was still negative. I am sure the simulator had already fully loaded when I tried to connect, I gave it enough time, and given that I am running it on I7, it should be substanially fast. Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Arlon TM

Please use plain text.
Developer
jalue
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Are you using VMware Workstation or only the Player?  Someone had the same problem and solved it by switching to Player.

Also, is your Build Configuration set for Simulator?  If you were trying to run an application..

Please use plain text.