Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

gjw
Contributor
gjw
My Device: PlayBook

Cannot see shared folders documents via usb

I can write to the Shared folders, I.e. Photos, Documents, etc. but when I use the Blackberry Desktop app on a PC the files do not show up. I know they are there because I can read the files I create with the app. They just don't show up in the Files section of the Blackberry Desktop or the Z: remote drive that is created. If I create an empty document in the shared Documents folder on the Z: drive and then write to that file from our app the document contains the information written to it from our app. All files that I write to the documents folder are there they just can't be seen over USB. I checked the permissions on the Z: drive and they seem correct. Any help or suggestions. Thanks, gjw
BlackBerry Development Advisor
elena_laskavaia

Re: Cannot see shared folders documents via usb

How do you know they actually in "shared" folder? Use target file system navigator in IDE to inspect file

system of device, starting with you application sandbox. If they are in sandbox (i.e. data folder) they are private files

not shared.

gjw
Contributor
gjw

Thanks for reponding.

I know because the Desktop Software creates a remote Z: drive which shows the shared folders.

If I create an empty file in the Documnents folder on the Z drive with the name report.txt and run the app on the Playbook that writes to the report.txt the information shows up in report.txt.

If I don't create the empty file first I cannot see the file on the Z drive when the app writes to it.

The app itself can write to the report.txt file in the Documents Folder and read it back even though I cannot see it in the Documnents folder.

gjw

elena_laskavaia

Well maybe it does not refresh properly. You still can use target file system navigator to inspect your files instead of mounted share

gjw
Contributor
gjw

Thanks again,

1. Once I create the file the app updates it each time I create the report within the App.

2. We need the user to be able drag files into and out of the Documents folder. At the moment the user can drag a file into the Documents folder and the app can read it.  BUT when the app writes to the Documents folder the file does not show up for some reason or other.

3. Our users have no access to the System Navigator we need them to be able to drag the files from the Documents folder.

4. Our app was developed with the Marmalade cross development SDK.

gjw

elena_laskavaia

I see. I guess you have to report the bug about file not refreshing. To confirm that it is a refresh issue

unplug the playbook after file is written, then plug back.

Btw does app declared use_shared as capability?

gjw
Contributor
gjw

Yes I have unplugged and repugged and everything else I can think of.  I checked the permissions on the folders and everything I check seems to be right.

Yes the app is declared for sharing.  As I mentioned the app can read a file that is dragged in the the Z drives Documents folder.

Also the Playbook is set for sharing.

I have reported this to Marmalade.

It seems as if it is some sort of protection that the Desktop Software imposes on the folders when it creates the Z drive.  The files are there because we have a test app that displays the files in the Documents folder -- but those same files cannot be seen on the Z drive or within the Desktop Software's Files section.

Once I create them on the PC on the Z drive they remain there and are updated.

Strange.

gjw