Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
tanmaytajs12
My Device: Z10

Cascade Advice

Hi,

I am new to Cascades development. I am good with Adobe AIR. I want to learn to develop applications using Native cascades. I have no problem understanding QML. QT seems to be fun. The problem is C++, I have zero understanding of C++. Some tutorials are confusing because of the combination of C++ and QML. I feel like I'm lost. I want to know if it is possible to create an app just using QML? from what I understand one cannot create apps that uses native features using QML alone, is it true? For example, is it possible to create an LED color changing app, or apps that integrates with contacts just using QML with no C++?

Developer
saprykin
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Cascade Advice

The answer depends on what is your app. The recommended approach with C++/QML is:
1. You are writing UI on QML which simplifies your work related to the same thing using C++;
2. You are writing your logic and more complex calculations using JavaScript which is perfectly integrates with QML.
3. If you need to perform some low-level actions which are not available through QML or you have some complex logic or data processing it is best to move it to C++ and then export it to QML through attached objects, for example.
So it is possible to write an app completely on QML+JavaScript, especially if app is not too complicated, but some things may be implemented with C++ with much less efforts
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NSR Reader for BlackBerry 10 @NSRReader on Twitter
Me @xelfium on Twitter