Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
Pumano-
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Beeline

Re: Cascades - do we need an extra Forum ?

I'm a newbie at Blackberry native, I have only webworks experience. I want upgrade my skills and I have one app, but I need good GUI using Cascades. I want to port my webworks to Cascades app, but I have too much questions about Qt Core and Cascades API. If RIM can provide dedicated forum for Cascades and second (just pure C/C++ native like existed) it's will be good.

Sorry for poor english skills

Please use plain text.
Developer
georg22
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

I browsed in this forum for half an hour and i still think we need a cascades/QML forum. People ask  questions, and get answers or links how to solve it with pure c++, but they were looking for a nice QML solution. Then they need to clarify and so on. Thats not efficient.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Zingam
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE

There should be a separate forum for Qt/Cascades and for Pure Native and maybe OpenGL.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

If you haven't been providing support here for very long, keep in mind that what looks great from one point of view may have serious problems from another point of view.

Having very "narrow" forums does not necessarily solve the problems you describe, at least not perfectly, which means you have to look at the disadvantages too. It's a balancing act.

Newcomers still pick the wrong forum from time to time, and the more forums there are, the greater the chance they'll do so.

If you make the forums too narrow, then some more general questions get asked in the wrong place too easily. Someone may not have a preference for how they solve a problem, they just know they're using the NDK and have available all the tools it provides. They may say "How can I use Cascades to do X?", and get an answer along the lines of "You can't, but you can just resort to pure native code by doing Y.". Then it evolves into a whole discussion involving "pure native" code, and nobody knows where the discussion should belong.

Then there's the issue of critical mass. Many people tend to pick only a few forums, or one forum, to follow. If you divert all the OpenGL stuff, and all the Cascades stuff, then the main NDK forum may have relatively few regulars, so the quality of the support drops and people complain (as I often see them do in other forums) that nobody answers their questions in the BB support forums. We can be spread too thin...

I'm not saying there shouldn't be one or two more forums, however... but I am saying that it would be wise to move slowly, after we've had ample time to monitor things and identify all the problems and needs. I'm also saying that those of you who don't do as much support in these forums as others do might want to consider the difficulties involved in (for example) subscribing to too many different forums, constantly having to ask moderators to move threads to a better forum, and making it harder for people to find the more general information when they don't have a narrow question. It might seem to make it easier on you to have one "clean" forum that suits exactly your needs, but you won't like it if, as a result, there is almost no one else there to talk to.

Also, perhaps the split shouldn't be so much along technical lines. Maybe a "game development" forum would be helpful.

It might be a good idea to see what focus different people have before deciding how to slice things up. I often care far less about what platform I'm using for a particular problem than just how I can find *any* solution that might work. For example, I happen to want to do some nice anti-aliases vector graphics stuff in a Cascades app. The solutions may involve something in Qt, or future stuff in Cascades, or maybe OpenGL, or a third-party pure C library that can be ported to the NDK. I'd prefer not to have to "shop around" through three different forums just to try to get an answer to that.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Cascades really should have its own forum. Yes, there is some C++ code involved, but most developers working on Cascades apps are going to want to work within the conventions of the framework.

Just because the underlying language is the same, doesn't mean that there is much in similar between a cascades application and an app written in OpenGL or Cocos2d-x

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Ebscer, would you see it as one forum for Cascades, and one forum for everything else NDK-related (i.e. OpenGL, all the game frameworks, etc)?

That might make it easy to direct people: "if your question mentions the bb: namespace, or anything starting with "Q", use the Cascades forum" ;-)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
ekke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition), Q10, Z30
My Carrier: Telekom.de, O2, Vodafone

peter9477 wrote:
Ebscer, would you see it as one forum for Cascades, and one forum for everything else NDK-related (i.e. OpenGL, all the game frameworks, etc)?

That might make it easy to direct people: "if your question mentions the bb: namespace, or anything starting with "Q", use the Cascades forum" ;-)

that's exactly how I would prefer it: easy to understand and not too many forums

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ekke (independent software architect, rosenheim, germany)

BlackBerry Elite Developer
International Development Mobile Apps BlackBerry 10 Cascades
Cascades - Workshops / Trainings / Bootcamps

Open Source Enthusiast
blog: http://ekkes-corner.org videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ekkescorner
bb10-development: http://appbus.org Twitter: @ekkescorner
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
superfeeler
My Device: bb9000
My Carrier: t-mobile

this is a good idea for those who are suffering cascades.

and I think bb could expose some detail code for cascades,

currently most problems of cascades have no fixed solutions.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1154, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

I agree with the "Qt/Cascades" forum and "NDK" forum.

I know Qt is popular, but I have seen many times (at least pre-Cascades), as peter has mentioned, where someone said "How do I do X" and I think "Use bbutils and then you can do it.". The response the person gets is "First, install Qt Creator. Then do so-and-so setup and config. Reboot. ..."

Separating that so that people who are doing GUI/using Qt/using Cascades have one forum and those that are doing "pure-native" or OpenGL, etc. have the NDK forum.
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

peter9477 wrote:

That is what I would like to see. Beyond Cascades, I am not sure if any of the other NDK platforms would have enough critical mass to support their own forums.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.