Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
guru2000at
My Device: Playbook, q5, z10
My Carrier: TM

Cascades for the PlayBook ?

i'm a little bit confused at the moment. i thought cascades will be available for BB10 and the PB OS in its first release... 

but alec said, it will be not. will it come for the PB OS ? or do we have to wait until there is a special version for the PB OS or until PB OS is updated to BB10 ?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Cascades for the PlayBook ?

We're all a bit confused.. but that's little changed from a year ago. :-(

What we do know (pretty sure "know" is the right word here) is that the Dev Alpha devices, which developers who attend BB10 Jam next week will receive, will support doing Cascades development. It's possible that will be the only way to do it for a while.

I believe they've also said that Cascades will be available in open beta at that point, but whether that will support deploying to anything other than the Alpha seems to be an open question.

What we don't know and they haven't said is when anyone will actually be able to deploy Cascades apps onto a PlayBook, other than of course by the time BB10 is out.

There may or may not be a simulator update supporting Cascades. There may or may not be another beta for the PB with Cascades support. There may or may not be Cascades support in the 2.1 release (which will likely not be out in May at this point), though Alec's response above suggests "not" is the correct answer there.

Wait a week and I'm pretty sure we'll have most of the answers though.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

peter9477 wrote:
There may or may not be a simulator update supporting Cascades.

Okay, I think they just answered that one (with a yes!) in a tweet. Unfortunately between the time I saw it (retweeted by someone else, or maybe just a screenshot posted somewhere?) and when I thought of this thread, I lost track of it.

From memory, it said something like "... and simulators will be provided for testing" (in the context of Alpha/Cascades stuff).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

I also remember it being said that BB10 will come out for the PlayBook after the first phone comes out.
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

Check:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Cascades-Development/Playbook-development-with-Cascades/m-p/1...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Please use plain text.