Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Dev Alpha B

Cascades in Qt Creator?

Hi,

Did anyone succeed to use Qt Creator for app development that uses Cascades? I was able to configure Qt Creator to develop apps that use Qt and Qt Quick, but not Cascades. The native IDE (Momentics) is real pain in the..., constantly crashes, pretty bad completion mechanism, etc. I don't use Cascades visual builder as it crashes the IDE even faster, plus it's not really helpful. Once I include pickers or something outside standard cascades it cannot parse the QML file anymore.

Thanks in advance

Developer
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: GiffGaff

Re: Cascades in Qt Creator?

I haven't tried to get this working but would be interested in doing so at some point in the future (I agree about the major downgrade that is Momentics - I was hoping never to see the Eclipse + CDT combination in my development environment ever again).

It's all C++ and QML, so in theory you just need to link the right libraries and have the right paths set up for imports... what fails?

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Dev Alpha B

Yes, Eclipse is not he best IDE I've ever used :smileyhappy: Qt Creator doesn't have syntax highlighting because it doesn't recognize the Cascades framework, at least I wasn't able to make it work. So far I was able to compile just a Qt app for PlayBook and run it from within Qt Creator. But I'm still trying to make Qt Creator work as Eclipse keeps crushing every 5 minutes again 

It's all C++ and QML, so in theory you just need to link the right libraries and have the right paths set up for imports...

unfortunately Cascades has almost nothing from standard QML, just data types :smileyhappy: 

Developer
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: GiffGaff

Eclispse is OK as an IDE for many languages, if a little heavyweight for my taste.  For example the Java IDE for Android is just standard Eclipse with a couple of plugins and it's quite nice.  However, I've never seen a nice C/C++ environment in Eclipse and basically I believe it's because CDT for Eclipse sucks.  It's possibly unsurprising that an IDE written in Java is good for coding Java but not for coding C++. :smileyhappy:

>> Qt Creator doesn't have syntax highlighting because it doesn't recognize the Cascades framework, at least I wasn't able to make it work.

It's possible that you're just missing out on some standard includes that the toolchain adds to all Cascades projects.  Unfortunately I haven't got time to investigate at the moment.  If this is the case you could add them to the .config file and all the classes should magically appear for syntax highlighting and auto-complete.

>> unfortunately Cascades has almost nothing from standard QML, just data types

Yes, it just has the stuff provided by the Qt declarative engine.  You don't include Qt Quick (although you can, you can't mix it with Cascades) so you don't get all the core QML types.  Since I believe the QML objects for Cascades are just the C++ classes with relevant bits exposed to the QML engine, if you haven't got the C++ includes set up correctly it won't recognise the QML types either.