Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
Benecore
My Device: Q10, Z10LE, Nokia N950, DAB....

Change Signing key for an update app

Hi devs
I have a little question about signing keys and update application on BlackBerry world. I have an existing application which is signed by my older signing key. And if i sign new update with a new signing key than ofcourse i got an error when i send an update to the BlackBery world.

So my question is. Is possible (some way) replace the older signing keys with a new? And then update an existing app without a Package ID error?

Thanks guys

If helped give a like. If your problem was solved mark the post as "Solution"
Portfolio: BlackBerry Nokia
Social: Twitter | Facebook
About Me / Blog DevPDA | Blog
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

Re: Change Signing key for an update app

No. Once you change the signing key it is effectively a different app.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
Benecore

Bad news for me :smileysad: So I need create a new app and then again send it to Built for BlackBerry :smileysad:

Developer
Zmey
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, DAC

Hi! Contact BB World support, they can do the reset. The app doesn't need to be recreated, but users will see two different icons when updating afaik. (

Andrey Fidrya, @zmeyc on twitter
Developer
Benecore

Ok, i'll try it :smileywink:

Developer
greenmr
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10

[ Edited ]

This is precisely why I refused to switch from my old keys to one based on my BBID. While I would be willing to let hired programmers (don't have any, yet) use my company owned key I wouldn't want to have to give them access to my personal signing key tied to my BBID.

I never really understood the wisdom of switching to BBID-based signing keys.

BBSJdev wrote:

No. Once you change the signing key it is effectively a different app.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.
Developer
BBSJdev

@greenmr I think you've missed a beat here, linking the keys to your bb id isn't the same as signing with a new key.
You will not sacrifice the upgrade path in this case only if you create new keys as the OP was saying.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer
greenmr
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10

Actually, I know that about the upgrade path, but I do think I might have been mistaken about something. Do the signing keys still exist separately from the BBID? Can they be unlinked and reassigned to another BBID? If so, then yes, I did misunderstand. I was under the impression that the old signing key I used in the past would be replaced with a new one tied permanently to my BBID. I'm thinking now that is not correct. Correct?

BBSJdev wrote:
@greenmr I think you've missed a beat here, linking the keys to your bb id isn't the same as signing with a new key.
You will not sacrifice the upgrade path in this case only if you create new keys as the OP was saying.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.
Developer
BBSJdev

[ Edited ]

Hm... not sure, I'll see what I can find out.

I'd made the assumption that the keys were just linked to the account and the acount was not used in the key generation however the fact that permissions are now being linked to the account may mean my assumption was wrong on this.

It also may explain a recent problem I had with an update to an Android app.

Developer
BBSJdev

[ Edited ]

Thinking about this logically I don't see how it can be as we would have heard thousands of developers screaming about their updates by now.

However there is still the possibility of a third step that binds that key to the bb id permanently so worth finding out if the bb id can be changed.