Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
torpesco
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
Accepted Solution

Change splash screen for next program launch?

Is there any way to change the splash screen so that it's different the next time the user launches my app?

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Change splash screen for next program launch?

No.

Launch times for apps should now be under 1s, however, at least if you structure them carefully. You could implement a custom splash screen as the app launches but just after the system one, and change it from time to time.

Personally, I'm hoping not to see many splash screens, unless it's maybe a one-time thing, or a time-filler for a really big app which one already expects to take a long time to load (e.g. some games).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Regular Contributor
Q-T
My Device: non-Blackberry user

You can ue QSettings to read/write your configuation specs upon open/close.  I don't know your context but I agree with Peter, spash screens on a phone are undesirable.  What if you saw a Spash screen every time you openned say your contacts app. 

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Q-T is right about QSettings being useful for saving configuration stuff, but unfortunately the system splashscreen stuff is read from metadata that is read-only once a signed app is installed. There are no APIs to change it, so the in-app approach for a custom splashscreen is your only option.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
torpesco
My Device: Z10, PlayBook

Heh. Lots of dislike for splash screens. I don't like them either, actually -- the idea was just to display the last picture the user had on the screen. Load time is probably quick enough to not worry about it, though. The time difference between loading it myself and everything else being ready to run is negligible.