Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
geosan1965
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Playbook, BlackBerry Z10
Accepted Solution

Code example for OS 10 for programmatically installing and upgrading applications

How do I install an application programmatically on BlackBerry OS 10?

For BlackBerry Java OS (until OS 7), we have this excellent article how to install an application programmatically:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Programmatically-install-and-upgrade-applica...

We use this to distribute enterprise internal apps. This is an essential functionality for enterprises. But of course, this works different in BlackBerry OS 10.

I cannot find a similar API for BlackBerry OS 10. I would appreciate if somebody would point me to the API that is similar to the former CodeModuleManager and CodeModuleGroup that allows to programmatically install applications. Does a similar article like the one mentioned above exist that works for OS 10 and PlayBook?

Thanks in advance!

Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

Re: Code example for OS 10 for programmatically installing and upgrading applications

There is no api to do this all downloads are handled by BBW.

The closest you could get to what you want to do is to hook into the in-app payment apis and add functionality to your core app.

There are other solutions to do with sideloading but this is probably too cumbersome for your users, search the forum for the many other thread requests similar to your own.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
New Developer
geosan1965
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Playbook, BlackBerry Z10

Re: Code example for OS 10 for programmatically installing and upgrading applications

Thanks for the answer!

Yes, I have tested the side loading mechanism but this will be too complex for our users.

I am unaware that the in-app payment API actually can install applications. I will look at this.

I think I do understand the app distribution for enterprises via the device service administration and BBW, but what our customers are actually looking for is a uniform cross platform app distribution model where they host the apps themselves. This was possible with BB7, and I needed confirmation that it is no longer possible with BB10. Right now I have a solution for all our supported platforms except BB10.

If BlackBerry Customer Service/Product Marketing wants to contact me on this, I can explain on private channel the details of what and why ...
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

[ Edited ]

Please do not misunderstand me, the in-app payment apis cannot install applications.

All they can do is either unlock code or install a module that can be run within your own app.

For your problem you may be able to set this up on the BES side where your apps are only available to your business customers through a section in BBW and a server you control.

I have no experience of this however so can't help further.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
New Developer
meetlesli
My Device: BB

• thanks for ur help ,myproblem is sovled. :Clap:

java example

Leslie Love