Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
2pintsandanaxe
My Device: PlayBook
Accepted Solution

Communicating with external devices via USB port of Playbook

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

I have been searching for specific information on how to programatically connect to external devices using the USB port of the Playbook. It appears that the QNX Neutrino system level options don't work, I have tried using system() with some of the usb commands from the utilities (io-usb, usb, ...) with no success. I am attempting to construct an App which would use the USB port of the Playbook to connect to an industrial network such as devicenet or profi-bus as example. Does anyone know if this is possible? If this is related to another post here, admin please relocate it.

Edit Note: Thank you for responding, and the result is pretty much as I had found. I have no contact that I can name for RIM, off of the top of my head. I think that for now I will focus my efforts elsewhere for the Playbook development.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Communicating with external devices via USB port of Playbook

I believe the capabilities for that are either not going to be present at launch, or are simply not documented adequately yet. I'd suggest this is an area where you ought to find someone in RIM to provide more answers, maybe through a private message in this forum, or email if you have a contact.

I think this capability will be supported at some point, but some time after launch. Sorry I don't have anything more concrete for you. I have similar interests...

Note that Bluetooth could provide an effective alternative in some situations, and I believe the basic serial profile is supported now.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB

More worse, I think that they won't be available at all. With root access these capabilities work, but root is not allowed also.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

borceg, do you have anything other than pure speculation on which to base that thought?

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg

It's my pure speculation, but given the current philosophy behind PlayBook and BB 10 OS, maybe my speculation isn't too much wrong. Anyway, it's not only BB problem, other vendors (Apple, Samsung, LG etc etc) also don't allow this out of the box.

Few days ago I played with ultra cheap Chinese junk-tablet (with resistive screen, buuuu), android 2.3.3 and this device had one usb port with support for any usb device (mouse, keyboard, 3g modem) + custom usb Ethernet adapter with 2port usb hub . Dude, that was crazy. Maybe these will find its way into BB 10 devices some day.
Please use plain text.
Retired
robbieDubya
My Device: Q10

Our USB story is growing.

PlayBook OS 2 and BlackBerry 10 offer an implementation of the Android Accessory Protocol.

For experimenting, when you plug a (correctly configured) Arduino ADK into your Dev Alpha or PlayBook, /dev/aap0 will appear, and can be used to send serial data between the two devices.

At this time though - there is no way to find WHAT you are talking to - just to talk to it.

--
Rob is no longer associated with BlackBerry.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

2pintsandanaxe, I think you just found that RIM contact I was saying you should look for. ;-)

borceg, RIM has discussed USB-connected Ethernet adapters for their corporate clients from the earliest times the PlayBook was publicly mentioned. The current OS builds are littered with signs of support for them, so if you'd seen those I don't think you'd toss out all the evidence quite so quickly. Again, I don't know if those will be supported at launch (although for the Ethernet adapters, I do expect them with the BB10 launch just because I can't imagine why they'd want to hold them back) but I'm pretty confident they'll be along shortly after if not then. robbieDubya's response is just icing. ;-)

Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg

[ Edited ]

I know that PB and BB10 are capable of handling almost everything - even a microwave oven with proper connection :smileyvery-happy: but till then, we can only speculate :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
xsacha
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

BB10 firmware on Playbook correctly handles most USB devices including: keyboard, mouse, usb flash drives, arduino devices and many more.

This is tested on BB10.0.9 (the one that works on Playbook).

The reason it doesn't work on Dev Alpha devices is because they don't have a USB OTG port. It's just a regular port.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
2pintsandanaxe
My Device: PlayBook

hello robbieDubya,

Thanks for the prompt response. Is the Android Accessory Protocol available in Playbook OS version 2.1 SDK? So is this more or less a "dumb terminal" type of connection, just exposing the serial protocol layer?

Steve

Please use plain text.