Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
d3v3l0p3r
My Device: Q5, Q10, Z10, Z30, PlayBook

Confused about NDK versions

I did the update to the NDK from the Momentics IDE and now I have three versions:

In the release notes it states: 

If you want to test your apps on a BlackBerry 10 device, you may also need to download a device target from the update site. You should download the10.0.10.261 version from the update site. When building your app for the current version of the BlackBerry 10 OS deployed on public devices (10.0.10.261), ensure that the platform selected in the BlackBerry 10 Native SDK is 10.0.9.2318.

Does it mean I have to use 9.2318 when submitting new release to BB World? I know simulator is 10.261 and retail version of Z10 is 9.2316, so what is 9.2372?? This is confusing.

---
If you find my post helpful please "like" it and "accept as a solution"
Developer
oliver_kranz
My Device: Z10

Re: Confused about NDK versions

[ Edited ]

When you want to submit an app to the BB World then you should always build the project using the latest version of the SDK. In your list this is 10.0.10.261.

The older SDK versions can be used to test apps on older versions of the simulator or to test on older OS versions for the DEV Alpha device.

Developer
Developer
lew
My Device: Dev Alpha

@oliver: it is wrong to always use the latest SDK, your app won't work if the target device is not with the same version as the SDK. For example, if your device OS is 10.0.9.xxxx and you compile with SDK 10.0.10.xxx, your app will be deployed successfully on appworld but won't launch.

The choice of the SDK to compile against depends on your target platform and CARRIER in your target region. When dealing with multiple-regions, compile using the lowest common denominator....and currently this is SDK 10.0.9.2372

Developer
oliver_kranz

Okay, to clarify things. lew, you are wrong and I was wrong, too.

According to this article http://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/download/releasenotes/ the release SDK version should be set to 10.0.9.2318.

When building your app for the current version of the BlackBerry 10 OS deployed on public devices (10.0.10.261), ensure that the platform selected in the BlackBerry 10 Native SDK is 10.0.9.2318.

Developer
Developer
tw_
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha A

oliver_kranz wrote:

Okay, to clarify things. lew, you are wrong and I was wrong, too.

According to this article http://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/download/releasenotes/ the release SDK version should be set to 10.0.9.2318.

When building your app for the current version of the BlackBerry 10 OS deployed on public devices (10.0.10.261), ensure that the platform selected in the BlackBerry 10 Native SDK is 10.0.9.2318.

Yes, but there is a newer blog posting here:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/02/blackberry-10-ndk-target-updates/

It says:

"So as an example, let’s say 10.0.9.2318 is the latest version of software you can download for our Dev Alpha test devices through our update manager. Once we release the next target OS, we will remove 10.0.9.2318 and place the new one on the update server. We will also add the Dev Alpha keyword in the update site target string to clearly indicate that this is a Dev Alpha load. When you bring up your update manager UI, you will see the new build tagged with the ‘Dev Alpha’ keyword as shown below. Note that 2318 is no longer available through the update site now that we have refreshed it with a newer version."

The 2318 version is indeed gone now. There are only 10.0.9.2372 and 10.0.10.261 left in the update manager list (but both without any Dev Alpha tag).

So if we would reinstall Momentics there would be no way to build for 2318 any longer. This is the reason I assume 2372 supersedes 2318. I have not deleted 2318 yet but I will build my next release binaries for 2372.

Developer
oliver_kranz

[ Edited ]

So, that's interesting. I didn't know that 2318 is not available anymore.

I also know the blog post you mentioned. It says:

My hope is that this clarifies things for you and makes it easy to keep up with target OS’s. One thing I need to reiterate though is that you don’t have to keep downloading newer device side updates. Our APIs are complete and other than a few minor exceptions, we don’t plan on adding in new APIs. More importantly, though, backwards compatibility is being enforced – if your app works as of our Gold 10.0 SDK, you should be fine. We are making sure that the new targets don’t break backwards compatibility. So you only have to worry about downloading these new targets if there is a specific issue you are trying to debug on a target that is running a newer version of software. In addition to this, in the future we plan to simplify the process of keeping up with targets so that you don’t have to worry about matching target numbers with SDK numbers – the IDE will automatically select the right debug symbols for you based on what target is loaded on the device you connect to.

Unfortunately, the message here is very vague. It just says that using the Gold SDK for releases is fine.

Developer
Developer
lew
My Device: Dev Alpha

unless anyone can confirm that there's a production Z10 running os 10.0.9.2318, i still think the lowest SDK version is 10.0.9.2372.

This is the case in Canada at least. 2318 should not be on any carrier Z10 as far as i know. (i think 2318 was on the Z10 provided on launch day).

So if you want to be 100% safe, you are better off with 2318.

Developer
sketch34
My Device: Developer

[ Edited ]

I've got an app up built with 10.0.10.261. It seems to be all fine so far with all positive reviews and maybe ~500 downloads. I contacted my BB Developer Relations guy to check and he said it should be fine to use 10.0.10.261.

Would still be good to get confirmation from one of the BB forum dev advisors.

----
I know exactly where the problem *might* be.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

It's recommended to build using a BlackBerry Native SDK that is equal to or lower than the OS version you are targeting.  There may be cases where building on a newer NDK will work on an older OS, but that's not gauranteed.  Going from a lower NDK to higher OS should work fine.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
Developer
tw_
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha A

Thanks but I think the actual question most developers have here is which is the lowest OS version they should target so that it works on all Z10s out there? I think most devs here would like to target all Z10 globally.

But the confusion comes from the wording of the Gold release notes page:

http://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/download/releasenotes/

It says:

"When building your app for the current version of the BlackBerry 10 OS deployed on public devices (10.0.10.261), ensure that the platform selected in the BlackBerry 10 Native SDK is 10.0.9.2318."

It is confusing why 10.0.9.2318 should be used when 10.0.10.261 is the version deployed on public devices and SDK 10.0.10.261 is also available. Moreover 10.0.9.2318 is gone from the update manager list in Momentics. There is only 10.0.9.2372 and 10.0.10.261 available.

I think it would be helpful if the wording of the above page could be updated / clarified.

PS:

I just checked and there is now also a BB Dev Alpha Native SDK 10.0.10.263 which I was missing in my postings above. I will use this for debugging on the Dev Alpha.